Space Warps Talk

Space Warps CFHTLS "Reboot"

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

Hi everyone! As you can see, the site is live again and accepting classifications. We have put together a new set of CFHTLS lens candidates based on Chris Davis' "offline" SWAP analysis, and are hoping to spot a few more lenses in them next week. Why next week? There'll be three short news articles coming out in various places, and we wanted the site to be operational in case a few new people want to come and join us, after they read about our papers. So, this seemed like a good opportunity to test Chris' images.

However, we have a few bugs (as you have noticed!). We're working on fixing them, so please bear with us - it's probably best to wait until you hear from us again before doing too many classifications! The feedback picked up from you by @capella05 is super useful, though, thank you! We have the following on our to-do list to fix:

• The counter on the classification interface keeps resetting back to your original number of classification. This is a worry, and the main reason why you should wait till next week before doing more classifications. It's most likely that your clicks are being recorded correctly, but we want to make sure.

• The quick dashboard on the classification interface does not work yet (in either FF and Chrome) - the page freezes. This is probably to do with the availability of the FITS images, we'll check it out.

• New volunteers seem to be unable to mark possible lenses (in either FF or Chrome - thanks for this, Monica!) They can move the pointer, but when they try to place a marker, nothing happens.

• The full dashboard (accessed via Talk) is also broken - again, perhaps because of FITS file unavailability.

If we've missed anything, feel free to post in the comments below - and we'll try and answer any other questions you have, too.

In general, our goal is to use all classifications that you make - but in this case I think we'll probably just start counting classifications once the bugs are fixed and the articles are out. This means that your agents will be unaffected by the clicks you've made during this short debugging period. The only impact on you will be that you will have fewer images to look at next week (because at SW you only ever see an image once) - so give us a chance to fix the bugs you've found, and watch this space!

Thanks very much,

Phil

Posted

• leonie_van_vliet by leonie_van_vliet

Thanks Phil, for explaining, ElisabethB did forward your message to me. I have been classifying quite happily and did recognized
    some of the old data and made a remark to Elisabeth about being glad that the project started up again. Had no problems at all
    thought we were up and running again...

Now I'll just wait until things are debugged!

Kind regards!

Leonie van Vliet

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

Hello everyone, finally starts again !!!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Yes - it will be great to have it back! 😃

Posted

• Mgorman by Mgorman

The quick dashboard is not working properly for me in either FF of Safari in Mac Yosemite. When I worked on this project originally it was very, very helpful to be able to zoom in on the images.

But I am very pleased that the project is active again!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Mgorman's comment.

The project is still a day or two away from being active - we are waiting for some bug fixes from the Zooniverse. They have been a bit busy the past few days!

Nice to know so many 'oldtimers' are looking forward to the reboot 😄

Posted

Looks like it is going to be a bit longer - we are still waiting for a resource from the Zooniverse to become available to fix the bugs.

Thank you everyone for your patience 😃

Posted

• Aprajita by Aprajita scientist, admin

We're still not quite there yet but a lot of the bugs have been fixed. We hope to be fully working by Wednesday this week.

Posted

Hi all,
    We're planning to start properly tomorrow. The quick dashboard is proving to be a bit problematic (currently blank!) but everything else should be working OK. Please let us know if you experience any problems.
    Thanks
    Aprajita.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Thanks Aprajita !

Posted

The bugs don't seem to of been fixed for me.

My classification count is still resetting itself back to the original number, and for every single sim I mark, I get a message saying I have missed it. I know I am out of practice, but mis-marking over 20 sims in a row?

Posted

Hi all!

As you can see, we managed to get some things working again, but others not so well. Let me try and summarize the state of the app - the short summary is yes there are a few remaining bugs, but 1) we are fixing them and 2) your classifications should not be affected.

• The incorrect "you missed a sim" message bug (when you clicked on an arc, but were told that you missed it) seems to be intermittent (which suggests that its not that the markers aren't being registered, only that the marker position is being interpreted wrongly). This means that despite the messages, the agents will be trained correctly when we run the SWAP analysis on your classifications. We're working on solving the messaging problem.

• Take a look at your "Images Viewed" counter at the top of your classification screen. We've been trying to reproduce @Capella05's error and figure out what's going on, but no luck so far - perhaps it's a problem that only affects people who have done very large numbers of images? If your counter is not changing, please let us know below and hopefully that will help us debug it.

• The Quick Dashboard is almost working again - we still have some confusion in the system left over from when we switched to the VICS82 data. To keep things simple we disabled it while we try and fix it.

Thanks for your patience, everyone! And good luck spotting 😃

Posted

Thanks Phil - hope for a quick resolution of all issues 😃

Posted

• MingMing by MingMing

My "Images Viewed" counter is frozen, too.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I'm having the counter problem as well.
    My counter resets every time I come into Talk or start a new session.

Posted

Apologies again to everyone having problems with counters, dashboard and confusing "missed a sim" messages. We're trying our best to get them fixed but the source of the problems is proving elusive. We'll keep you posted here as soon as things get fixed. Aprajita.

Posted

• Tonibee by Tonibee

The only issues I have are related to the sim messages (and the known dashboard not working), including one that pointed to a missed lens in an area of blackness (today). I never thought to make a note of it's number - sorry. I'm really glad the project's back though, and thanks for the feedback email regarding the first project - it made my contribution meaningful.

Posted

Thanks for all your feedback - Chris S seems to have made some progress on bug-squashing, I think I see correct sim spotted messages now. How are your counters looking? And do you get the right messages about sims as well, now?

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

For Windows7, Chrome, my counter has worked well all the time, but I did get "missed lens" message after I had marked it. When I "Open in tools" the images brought up don't seem to correspond to the image I put in.

Posted

Sorry Phil - the counter is still not working.

I am starting to think it is a wider Zooniverse problem then just Space Warps - perhaps linked to user profiles. The same issue is now occurring on all non-panoptes based projects for me. @DZM has raised a GitHub ticket for it.

Posted

Thanks for the update Julianne.

Is anyone still having missed sim problems?

Posted

• Mgorman by Mgorman

Yes. In the last couple days I have had several instances where I have marked a sim as a lens only to be told that I had missed it. I noted this as a comment on the particular image at the time so I suppose that could be retrieved by looking back at my individual comments during that time. If it is relevant I am using Mac Yosemite and Safari.

Posted

• Mgorman by Mgorman

Just now the system is out of sync, giving no message when I marked what is clearly a sim, then on the next image with no lens displaying the -you missed a lens- message pointing to the location of the lens I marked on the previous image. This happened twice.

Posted

Dear Mgorman - thanks for letting me know. I'll forward this onto the developer team - sorry for the continuing problems.

Posted

After some awesome work from the Devs, my SW classifications count is working again! Also all my classifications in the past week from SW can be accounted for 😃

Haven't noticed any issues with the sims, the only ones that I missed are the ones that you need the quick dashboard for (ie. y they so deeply embedded in the galaxy, they are not visible in the default image)

I am just happy to be able to classify again 😃

Posted

• MingMing by MingMing

Everything works perfectly fine with me too. Thank you guys sooo much for your hard work!!! 😃

Posted

• Mgorman by Mgorman in response to Aprajita's comment.

The out-of-sync issue just happened again though it has been a few days since the last time.

Posted

• Mgorman by Mgorman

Regarding Known Lens Candidates such as ASW00056pq: Would it be possible to include a notification similar to "You found a simulated lens" or "There is no lens in this image." I think it would add a lot to the process.

Thanks,
    Mark

Posted

• Mgorman by Mgorman

Now I seem to have reached the end. : (

Are there plans for doing this again with other data sets?

Posted

Hi @Mgorman! We do have plans to bring you more data, yes - but not for a little while, I'm afraid. We're working with a couple of large surveys to see if we can get their images up on here for classification, and we'll keep you posted via the blog. You'll also get email from us too, when we are going live again - so hopefully you won't miss a trick! Thanks ever so much for all your classifications, and the feedback on the site too. It's really helpful to have you all working with us like this. Cheers!

Posted

• Aprajita by Aprajita scientist, admin in response to Mgorman's comment.

Hi Mark, sorry for the delay, i realise you have already finished your classifications but I'll flag up the out-of-sync issue.

for the known lens feedback, we might try to add a notification in future SW projects

thanks!
    aprajita

Posted

• cookie-monster by cookie-monster

I'm running Chrome and Quick Dashboard is not working for me and the counter has reset as well. Any ideas on when these issues will be resolved?

Posted

Sorry @cooke-monster - Quick Dashboard is still not running I am afraid. THe counter problem seems to be a wider issue @Capella05 - have you had this solved on your other zooniverse sites with problems yet?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Aprajita's comment.

Hi Aprajita,

The counter reset problem has been solved for me, apparently it was only affecting certain accounts (some old cerebus code). I would suggest logging out and then in to see if the problem still persists.

As far as I am aware the issue has been resolved across all platforms.

Posted

• leonie_van_vliet by leonie_van_vliet

Hello Phil,

It works perfectly now so everything as it should be! Thanks to both; you and Aprajita!

-Leonie

Posted

Glad things appear to be working, hope we can get QD fixed too.

Posted