Space Warps Talk

Stargazing Live - Help us name a Galaxy!

• Thomas_J by Thomas_J moderator

WOW!!

A great lens candidate featured on tonight's BBC Stargazing Live (Jan 9).

Were you lucky enough to classify this one?

Now we need a name!!

Share your ideas here 😃

Thomas

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Just remember it needs to start with a #9 and well, err, no swear words 😃

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Neineyeohpee (9iop),

Orange Peel Arc

Orange slice Arc for the nearly Einstein ring one http://talk.spacewarps.org/#/subjects/ASW0009l59

Posted

• IanAndJem by IanAndJem

looks like a smiley with orange lips #9smiley : )

Posted

• JohnAlt2 by JohnAlt2 in response to Thomas J's comment.

"#9pMoore", "#9 SirMoore", "#9Sirpeemoore" etc.
    Or
    "#9 StarGazer" after the show
    "#9 Zooniverse" after the system we are using

Or due to image appearance:-
    "#9 EightBall"

less serious...
    "#99 Red Balloon", "#9th Gate"

Posted

• uckle by uckle

#9red-eye-shift? or more prettily #9iris

Posted

• simonedi by simonedi

"#9 crowdscience" (bit like crowd funding but science....)

Posted

• Jamehall by Jamehall

I was lucky enough to spot this one! Can't believe it was on stargazing live, I missed it tonight and not on iplayer yet:(
    How about '9 red flares'
    Or '9 zilla' as it looks like an angry red eye of godzilla

Posted

• triple_harpist by triple_harpist

I was lucky enough to classify this one too !
    What about:-
    '9 day wonder' or '9 lives'

Posted

• puddings by puddings in response to Thomas J's comment.

9 stargazing live

Posted

• uckle by uckle

#9goggle or #9gibbus as in gibbus moon

Posted

• uckle by uckle

sorry that's gibbous

Posted

• sunrise1 by sunrise1

9-WarpFactor
    or the more obvious 9-Stargazing2014
    😉

Posted

Nice Star trek reference 😃

I will take a few days to think of it, not everyday you get to name a galaxy!

Posted

• nil-desperandum by nil-desperandum

#9Tulip ?

Posted

• kirsty1981 by kirsty1981

I was one of the first 6 to discover this one, was a bit put out that it was named after just one of us...slightly unfair I think!

Posted

• caractacus by caractacus

i would suggest STARGAZERS GALAXY.

this will keep the participants happy and the BBC.

Posted

• uckle by uckle

Although we all have our little suggestions for a name,I am getting the feeling that people who recognized it the first time they happened on it are feeling that to name it after the very first person goes against the ethos of a community effort.So i do not think it should be a particular surname but something that reflects all our efforts.Just my opinion.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

"The Beeb" (nickname for BBC)

though I like caractacus' "Stargazing" edit: the image looks like an eye

Stargazing Arc

Posted

• Capta1n by Capta1n

#9ion, I did classify this one...whoop whoop!

Posted

• SPACECHILD1 by SPACECHILD1

#9 SNOWGLOBE

Posted

• sunrise1 by sunrise1

Just a question here, obviously the 6 people marked this galaxy, but did they have to comment also, to be the "discoverers"?

Posted

• sunrise1 by sunrise1

Following on from 9-WarpFactor - maybe it could be 9-WarpFactor6, as a nod to the 6 who discovered it!

Posted

• rob_t by rob_t in response to Thomas J's comment.

How about 9wow2014

Posted

• zbish by zbish

How about #9 eyedrop galaxy as that what it looks like and I felt very privileged to be on stargazing live as one of the discoverers

Posted

• ozzhawk by ozzhawk

9 S.G.D

Posted

• Janmc by Janmc

To reflect the community spirit how about 9crowdquest or 9myriad.

Posted

• jack.rolls by jack.rolls

9gazer seeing as it was the star gazers who spotted it 😃

Posted

• jack.rolls by jack.rolls

or 9 gazer 6 for the 6 who spotted it n the 1st place

Posted

• jbro1971 by jbro1971

As most of these names are like catalogue numbers, haw about
    9BBCSGL2014A

Posted

• Jamesbuchanan by Jamesbuchanan

#9walsh after Mr Dennis Walsh who found the first gravitational lens in 1979, unfortunately his son Tim died recently and it would perhaps be a fitting tribute to the family.

Posted

• norro1983 by norro1983

#9estrellas ocultas - hidden stars in spanish

Posted

• Sharne by Sharne

9earth

Posted

• JoeShmo1979 by JoeShmo1979

Looks like the lensed object is very redshifted.

Posted

• kevincouchman by kevincouchman

#9MajorTom after our Moderator !

Posted

• sstarling53 by sstarling53

9StarGazey

Posted

9SpecSavers

Posted

9AllOfUsSawThis

Posted

9Peekaboo

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

how about 9ja? pronounced nine yea as in the German word for yes!

Posted

9Jantastic

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

or oncloud9 😃

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

ongalaxy9!

Posted

I saw it as well - we all deserve the credit!
    Those that came after the first six gave corroboration to the first sight. If we hadn't agreed it would've got passed over.

So how about
    9FolkGaze

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

99%galaxy1%we'renotsureyet

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

99%there!

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9days'wonderthisisnot

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

999what'syouremergency?weneedanamefast

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9darter
    need I say anymore? - just beautiful and perfect and rare like the newly discovered galaxy, enjoy 😃

Posted

• uckle by uckle

doublevision?

Posted

• bluesam by bluesam

9Aurora?
    It appears a bit like one, it was one of the themes of the show and it represents the "aurora" of the universe...

Posted

• ashimmin by ashimmin

As one of the original six spotters my pitch would be for 'Gretel' This is the name of my goddaughter who has just turned four. She's been to the Observatory at Greenwich and has always been fascinated by planets and had them hanging from the ceiling in her bedroom. She's already got a strong science leaning and I this would be a great way to inspire a possible future astronomer for the next generation.

Posted

• uckle by uckle

9Cyclops

Posted

• Damon22 by Damon22

I'd go for #9Iris - looks apt to me.

Posted

• Damon22 by Damon22

or #9Aurora sounds great, bluesam.

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9warper or 9whopper

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9thlifegoneascatkilledbycuriosity
    ha - made me smile just like I did when I saw new galaxy - 😃

Posted

• fiona543 by fiona543

9aurora sounds great

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9/1/14

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

99peoplecanbewrong1canberight

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9to5Whatawaytomakealivin

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9to5yeahtheygotyouwheretheywantyou 😃

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9-ball

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9inEminorFromtheNewWorldDvořák...The Symphony No. 9 in E minor, From the New World, Op. 95, B. 178 (Czech: Symfonie č. 9 e moll „Z nového světa“), popularly known as the New World Symphony, was composed by Antonín Dvořák in 1893 while he was the director of the National Conservatory of Music of America from 1892 to 1895. It is by far his most popular symphony, and one of the most popular in the romantic repertoire. In older literature and recordings this symphony is often indicated as Symphony No. 5. Neil Armstrong took a recording of the New World Symphony to the Moon during the Apollo 11 mission, the first Moon landing, in 1969. I think that this is fitting 😃

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9inEminor for short

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9Yggdrasill...it's from Norse Cosmology

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9thdoctor - like my Dr Who link?!

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9purity like it is 900 fine or 90% pure

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9-dart finish

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9HD

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9thheaven or 9thgalaxy...possibly

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

99centgalaxywhopper - sounds tasty and value for money 😛...99%galaxy1%unidentifiedfloatingobjects

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9naoi - from the Irish word for 9

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9kokono - 'kokono' is a Japanese word which means 'here'.

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

911TheJourney, 911ANightToRemember, 911ThereItIs, 911InteractiveElement - all apt 911 song titles and I was a fan 😉

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9timestimetravel

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9totheuniverse

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9ofhearts

Posted

• Alan_Whitford by Alan_Whitford

9 Gaze

So fitting considering

Posted

• birch66 by birch66

#9lovepotion-yoda

Posted

• dianaz by dianaz

#9Diana's Bow

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9star or 9star hotel sounds like luxury

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9dream or 9d-ream or 9d-reamstar and 9d-reamglorius

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9galánta which is the Irish word for beautiful or beautiful one.

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9thwonder or 9wow

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9novum or 9novumgalaxy

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9pulchra - beautiful in latin

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9mirum - amazing in latin

Posted

• uckle by uckle

9worldwideweb

Posted

• Thomas_J by Thomas_J moderator

Great suggestions. Keep them coming 😃

Posted

• uckle by uckle

9 peeple

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9super

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9galaxymaxi

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9Pertainym - phenomenal in latin

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9formosus, 9nitidus, 9speciosus, 9decorus, 9bellus, 9gratus, 9maiestus, 9magnificus or 9augustus - beautiful/majestic in Latin again - lovely language.

Posted

9citizenwatch

Posted

9peoplescience

Posted

9citizenlens

Posted

9RedLen

Posted

9zooniverse

After all wouldn't been possible without Zooniverse. I enjoyed using it. Ver y well designed, intuitive, robust software, and it processed millions of images. It used a vital resource - Peoplepower!

Posted

9peoplepower

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

9pouvoirpopulaire

Posted

• Gordon_3D by Gordon_3D

Three Options!

9 Days Remix is my galaxy name suggestion. #9DaysRemix

or 9 Days The Remix #9DaysTheRemix

or even... #976Remix 976 Remix

Posted

• c_cld by c_cld

crowdsource

Posted

• Notthere by Notthere

I'm just wondering. Brian Cox said this (double) galaxy's light was coming from 11 billion light years ago, and then said the galaxy was now 40 billion light years away. Wouldn't that require our galaxies to be moving at more than the speed of light apart? Am I missing something?

Posted

• Gordon_3D by Gordon_3D in response to Notthere's comment.

Hi Notthere!

The Galaxy in the foreground is a couple of billion light years away, says Chris Lintott (35 mins. into Episode 3)...

The lensed galaxy in the background... we are seeing it as it was something like 11 billion (earth) years ago.

(and the universe is only 13.8 billion years old as many would believe 😛 ).

So, the light from the galaxy has taken 11 billion (earth) years to reach us, which is about 40 billion light years

(that's distance. Unit of distance light travels in one year = a light year. That's about 6 million million miles).

Posted

• uckle by uckle

Please can you define your units of a billion so I can work it out.I know a billion here is not a billion in the USA.

Posted

• Gordon_3D by Gordon_3D in response to uckle's comment.

In the UK all my life (since 1975) I have recognised a billion the way the US recognises it - one thousand million, 1,000,000,000.

I am no expert, so I shall add a quote from "Universe Today": 1 light year is the distance light can travel in vacuum in one year’s time. This distance is equivalent to roughly 9,461,000,000,000 km or 5,878,000,000,000 miles.

Prof Brian Cox can be quoted:
    A light year is the distance light travels in one year through a vacuum, about 9.46 trillion km.

I have always thought of a light year as 6 million million miles and have seen it in published documents.

So the info above confirms a trillion as a million million, so a billion is a thousand million.

Posted

• uckle by uckle

many thanks Gordon 3D.I think it makes it easier for us non astronomers to understand if we just talk in distances and say that when the galaxy sent out the light we are receiving now it was 11 billion light years away.Since then we have both been ACCELERATING away from each other and are now 40 billion light years apart,so neither of us has been travelling at the speed of light cos if we did we'd never see each other at all.Is this wrong?

Posted

• Gordon_3D by Gordon_3D in response to uckle's comment.

I would say that when that distant galaxy lit up, it sent out its light and eventually reached our powerful telescopes 11 billion years later.

I could not attempt to factor in the added expansion variable.

If light takes 11 billion years to reach us from early on in the young universe, it has also travelled so far.

Measured in billions or trillions of light years, the clever astronomers can put a figure on how far away the galaxy is. They can even factor in expansion I am sure. But I can't. 😕

But if it is certain that it took 11 billion years for the light to reach us, then based on the speed of light it should be straightforward to work out the distance. Expansion aside! So I like to think it has always been roughly 40 billion light years away from us.

Posted

• Misty_Blue by Misty_Blue

#9 Mandela

Posted

• Leah_Fiona by Leah_Fiona

Why 9, anyway? What's the significance of 9?

9 Peekaboo Pinksmith

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator in response to Notthere's comment.

The universe is expanding faster than the speed of light.

see Any quasar with z>1 is going away from us in excess of c ?

http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=277872.msg471437#msg471437

Posted

• gavinrider by gavinrider

40b LY makes no sense to me!

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to gavinrider's comment.

Why not?

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

hi all. did we get a final name for the galaxy yet?!

Posted

Tha last I heard - not yet!

Posted

• gavinrider by gavinrider in response to JeanTate's comment.

Response to JeanTate:

Assume the galaxy and ours are some unknown distance X apart when the light starts its journey towards us. It arrives at our galaxy 11bn years after it started out, during which time we will have moved a distance Y further away from the source galaxy, due to the expansion of the universe.

Therefore, X + Y = 11 bn LY.

Assume the source galaxy has moved away from us at the same speed as we have moved away from it, because the whole universe is expanding at the same rate. So it will have travelled a distance Y further away from us relative to its original position. This means our separation now, when we detect the light, is X + 2Y.

If X + Y = 11 LY, then the largest possible separation between us now would be 22 bn LY, (as X, the original separation, tends towards zero). Note: at the limit with X tending to zero, the outward motion of the universe would be close to the speed of light in all directions, making our relative speed if we are moving in opposite directions tend towards 2c.

If we were almost next to the source galaxy at t=zero and we have moved apart at relative velocity of 2c for 11 bn years, our separation now would be 22 bn light years.

At least, that is how I calculate it. How could the separation now possibly be as much as 40bn LY?

Posted

• uckle by uckle

To Gavinrider
    I don't agree.
    We were in a different position ,say Q , when the light started out of course and moved further away relative to that galaxy but our position when we received the light,i.e.now, is X= 11bn LY not X+Y.
    I assume that the astronomers will work out from the red shift of that light how fast it was moving away then and factored in an acceleration to arrive at their figure of X+Y=40 bn LY now.I wonder how many other galaxies got in the way on its travels and
    To my simple mind you only have to move apart at half the speed of light in opposite directions for it to appear you are travelling relatively at the speed of light .Since light travels at c which is the maximum then the maximum rate of expansion is 2c unless of course there are lots more dimensions or space is so warped that this makes no sense at all.
    Is anyone actually listening to our questions I wonder? I would love to hear the definitive explanation.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi

I found this explanation :

If the Universe is only 14 billion years old, how can we see objects that are now 47 billion light years away?

When talking about the distance of a moving object, we mean the spatial separation NOW, with the positions of both objects specified at the current time. In an expanding Universe this distance NOW is larger than the speed of light times the light travel time due to the increase of separations between objects as the Universe expands. This is not due to any change in the units of space and time, but just caused by things being farther apart now than they used to be.

What is the distance NOW to the most distant thing we can see? Let's take the age of the Universe to be 14 billion years. In that time light travels 14 billion light years, and some people stop here. But the distance has grown since the light traveled. The average time when the light was traveling was 7 billion years ago. For the critical density case, the scale factor for the Universe goes like the 2/3 power of the time since the Big Bang, so the Universe has grown by a factor of 22/3 = 1.59 since the midpoint of the light's trip. But the size of the Universe changes continuously, so we should divide the light's trip into short intervals. First take two intervals: 7 billion years at an average time 10.5 billion years after the Big Bang, which gives 7 billion light years that have grown by a factor of 1/(0.75)2/3 = 1.21, plus another 7 billion light years at an average time 3.5 billion years after the Big Bang, which has grown by a factor of 42/3 = 2.52. Thus with 1 interval we got 1.5914 = 22.3 billion light years, while with two intervals we get 7(1.21+2.52) = 26.1 billion light years. With 8192 intervals we get 41 billion light years. In the limit of very many time intervals we get 42 billion light years. With calculus this whole paragraph reduces to this.

Another way of seeing this is to consider a photon and a galaxy 42 billion light years away from us now, 14 billion years after the Big Bang. The distance of this photon satisfies D = 3ct. If we wait for 0.1 billion years, the Universe will grow by a factor of (14.1/14)2/3 = 1.0048, so the galaxy will be 1.0048*42 = 42.2 billion light years away. But the light will have traveled 0.1 billion light years further than the galaxy because it moves at the speed of light relative to the matter in its vicinity and will thus be at D = 42.3 billion light years, so D = 3ct is still satisfied.

If the Universe does not have the critical density then the distance is different, and for the low densities that are more likely the distance NOW to the most distant object we can see is bigger than 3 times the speed of light times the age of the Universe. The current best fit model which has an accelerating expansion gives a maximum distance we can see of 47 billion light years.

Lots more info on that site : Frequently asked questions in cosmology

Hope this helps ! 😄

Posted

• Gordon_3D by Gordon_3D in response to ElisabethB's comment.

That was enlightening - thank you!
    Now to get my head around the fact that some galaxies are rushing away from each other as fast as 70,000 miles a second...

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

Hi everyone at Stargazing. Just wondering how the process of naming the galaxy is coming along at the moment? Haven't heard much in a while. Thanks

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to gem14's comment.

No news yet, but behind the scenes, it still being referred to by it's Spacewarps designation of ASW0009io9 or 9io9 for short.

Science is never quick 😃

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

Thanks for the update. Don't they say that "you can't hurry a good thing".

Posted

• gem14 by gem14

Hi all. Just wondering what's the latest update on the naming of the Galaxy?
    Thanks

Posted