Space Warps Talk

Not seeing much

• alwarren56 by alwarren56

I've looked at over 900 images with very little results. I've marked a few but none are really obvious. Is that typical?

Posted

• lodilady by lodilady

I think so. Just thinking out loud here, but these lenses are pretty rare. When I was doing GalaxyZoo I thought the people who looked for galactic lenses were nuts. (or having a very high tolerence for frustration!) Have you checked out hubblesite.org and the forums on GalaxyZoo? There's a little more info there.

Posted

• JasonJason by JasonJason

I have classified 152858 images and have 5291 potential lenses marked and of those probably 1/100 might be actual lenses if I am real real real lucky! It might be 1/1000 of the total which is like 52 not including the known lenses I have marked. But it might even be slimmer like 1/10000 which would be 5. Whatever it is it won't be much.

Posted

• Damon22 by Damon22

I have processed 118,000 images to date. Of these, about 6,000 were Sims or confirmed negatives. Of the 112,000 remainder, I would say that I have seen 6 strong candidates for real grav lenses - about 0.0054%. Of the remaining candidates - about 800 - I suspect somewhere like 5 - 10 may ultimately prove to be real grav lenses. I have seen elsewhere an estimate of 1 in 5,000 for real lenses (by Dr Phil I think) however I would suggest based on my experience that the proportion may be more like 1 in 10,000. We'll see in the final washup of this exercise.

Posted

• tashipoo by tashipoo

I've processed 145,000 images and the 1 in 10,000 estimate may be close. It seems like we may be finding about double that number but many, I think, will be too close to call. That's still a lot of new lenses. Maybe the official name givers (The Astronomical Union?) will select one of these lenses and call it "The Citizen Scientist's Lens". to bring more attention to this new and uniquely human approach to scientific data processing.

Posted