Space Warps Talk

where are we?

• Traumat by Traumat

would there be any way to identify the region that these are from? I know there is more important work to be done. Just curious if we could find an interesting picture and be able to somewhat say "see this picture, it is from ..........." It would connect us more with what we are doing and make me specific more of a nerd lol

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

We do know the location of the survey regions, but unless we have a positive id of an object or lens, we are not able to refine it closer than that.
    This is a blind study, so information is limited.

Posted

• Traumat by Traumat

I assumed so but thanks for your quick reply!

Posted

Have a look at this , it will give you the general area we are looking at πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Traumat by Traumat

Hey awesome!
    It may take me some time to translate that but I look forward to the learning challenge!
    Feed back here is amazing thank you so much!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Traumat's comment.

No worries - we aim to please πŸ˜ƒ

If you have any questions, please post them - that is the amazing thing about citizen science, we all learn from each other!

Posted

• Traumat by Traumat

Ok so in the link Spica is almost the center of the chart. So that then is the general direction of view. In the area of Virgo.

"Here’s how you can speed on to find Spica. First look for the Big Dipper in the northern sky. The Dipper is highest in the sky in spring and summer. Notice that the Big Dipper has a bowl and a long, curved handle. Find the Dipper, and then follow the curve of its handle outward, away from the Dipper itself. The first bright star you come to is orange Arcturus, but if you continue past it in the curving path, the next bright star is Spica. Scouts and stargazers remember this trick with the saying: Follow the arc to Arcturus, and speed on to Spica."

Posted

In the chart, the survey areas are in the blue rectangles - as you can see the area is tiny compared to the rest of the chart!

To me that is even more impressive - we are looking at a small part of the sky in amazing detail. A sight not seen by many people πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Traumat by Traumat

Exactly what I was thinking. For all intents and purposes when we bring up that small picture, we are one of a privileged and extremely few human beings that will ever see that. Mind numbing in some sense. I will check out the blue rectangles next to see what landmarks I can find

Posted