Space Warps Talk

Supervision gets a bit much

• veggy2 by veggy2

When starting out the simulated lens were fantastically helpful. But as I run up to my 4000th image they start to become a little irritating, even patronising. And I can't but help wondering if whoever did all those simulations had spent the same time and effort on looking for the real thing they'd probably have done most of our work for us 😃. I'll get my coat....

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

😄
    Actually, the sims are added by a robot. So no time wasted there.
    And believe me, I had a streak of 1,000+ images without a sim and I missed them. 😄
    Happy Hunting !

Posted

• JasonJason by JasonJason

At some point they do become useless from the training standpoint, after 30000+ images they become somewhat of a nuisance, I have a good idea of what I am looking for at this point so what additional help or advantage are they giving me or someone this far along?

Now it is just extra clicking getting in the way of and slowing things down in my search. It would be nice to have an option to stop them from displaying altogether. It's like having to take driving lessons after you have been driving for 20 years. I know some people it would help but for a large portion they would be useless.

Posted

• surhudm by surhudm scientist

Hi guys, by marking the simulations you are still helping us out in the research. The sims help us quantify the kind of lenses that can be missed (e.g. buried rings or faint images near borders, etc). So those extra clicks are always useful!

Creating the robot and finding its failure modes did take time, but believe me, one of the PIs (and many other astronomers) has (have) spent a lot of time and classified way more than 30000 images! It was a one-off thing, but after that experience, it is easier to understand that such a solution is not scalable to even larger surveys which are ongoing. We would like your help and certainly appreciate it! 😃

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin in response to veggy2's comment.

Hey veggy2 and All,
    Here's our recent blog on Sims -- everything you wanted to know!!! 😃

Posted