Space Warps Talk

Strange object that looks like vertical duplication in Image ASW00013k4

• dtrucken by dtrucken

Hmm, unless this is a simulation gone bad, wouldn't a processing error cause a vertical line of duplicated images from top to bottom?

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

Sorry. I pasted the wrong image in the title, it should be: Image ASW00013k4

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

(Of course, it could always be our first confirmed spotting of a Borg scout ship)

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to dtrucken's comment.

Oh I wish 😃

I am sure one of my compatriots will be along to have a look, and give there opinion 😃

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

ok, I'll have to trust that you're not part of the collective and relaying a warning message in the meanwhile....

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

[I'm getting out my tinfoil hat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat), just in case]

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Well, The Borg have always been my favorite Star Trek baddies 😄

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

Damn, just when I think I'm being completely fictional, another click gets me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_auditory_effect and
    http://www.slavery.org.uk/Bioeffects_of_Selected_Non-Lethal_Weapons.pdf

So, tinfoil hats might be useful after all.

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

I am worried the Borg are on to us, they are starting to send a warning message in Image ASW00003s3: 'S'tay away.

Posted

That will teach you for not taking The Borg seriously 😃

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

Ah, I know. If memory serves correctly, and this was a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, --oops, wrong story--, the "S" might actually be the start of the "sleep 10000;" command. Which will give us about 10 seconds to get away. Now, with the time-dilation effects so very close to their massive ship, that will translate back on Earth to a handful of TV series reincarnations. Hmmm, hasn't a new Star Trek movie just opened in theatres? Just saying...

Posted

Watched it on the 10th - amazing. I loved it 😄

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Just my two (very tentative) cents : although the two galaxies look very much alike, the two objects beneath them don't. One is blue the other one is pinkish.Outrageous as this may sound, I'd go for a very weird chance alignment.
    And I can't think of a system to produce lensed images this big !

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

I didn't think it was going to be a lens (because of the different colors on the bottom images). But, boy, it sure looks strange. Could it be dust rings? Probably not. Must be the Borg ship. 😃

Posted

I am just wondering how the images of the survey are compiled together - have they ever been misaligned? Is this image complied of multiple 'shots' or just a single one?

Not doubting @ElisabethB or @dtrucken - just intrigued.

Posted

no dust rings in sight, they are distinct objects. Still wondering how it occurred!

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

I still say the most reasonable explanation is a cloaked Borg ship. 😃

Posted

At this point I will agree with your conclusion, until new information come to light 😃

We will all be assimilated 😄

Posted

• Tom_Collett by Tom_Collett scientist

I haven't seen the new star trek film yet. Please don't ruin it for me!

We are spacewarps. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Your culture will adapt to help us find gravitational lenses. Persistence is helpful.

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

It is amazing how much Star Trek permeates the culture. Or, perhaps, our culture permeates the Star Trek narrative, dunno which is the better fit. Anyway, I'll get right back to looking. (My son and I are going to see the new film as soon as school gets out, we are hoping it will still be in theatres in 3 weeks.)

Posted