Space Warps Talk

"Nice! There is no gravitational lens in this field!"

• sunrise1 by sunrise1

I'm so busy concentrating that whenever this box pops onto an image, it makes me jump! Does that happen to anyone else?! LOL

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

It happens to me too! 😄

Not doing my blood pressure any good!

Posted

• sunrise1 by sunrise1

Oh it's not just me then!! I thought maybe I was being over-sensitive, but it does make me jump out of my skin sometimes and takes me a couple of images to recover! haha

Posted

• jomifl by jomifl

It does the same to me, I think confirming a negative is a bit pointless and is counterproductive. I also think that the simulations are a bit too frequent.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to jomifl's comment.

Although, the pop-up did unnerve me at first, I actually welcome it now. It confirms that I have accurately analysed the image as containing no lenses.

As for the sims see

Sim City

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin

Thanks @Capella05 for pointing out the blog which explains the reasons for having sims (i.e. "Training images") in Space Warps. The training images are images containing either sims or no known gravitational lenses. Both the sims and these "non-lens" images are equally important in understanding how well an image is being classified. As explained in the blog, this helps us in rejecting a large chunk of the data set classified by the users and build a more pure sample of real (new) lenses.

Posted