Space Warps Talk

Lens?

• Abutalebpur by Abutalebpur

Hey guys
    Do you think this is a real lens? it could be my first important discovery 😃)

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Abutalebpur's comment.

I am going to give someone a nudge to come along and have a look...

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I would mark it too, but they do look very big compared to the lensing galaxy.

Posted

• AlexandredOr by AlexandredOr

Simulation ?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to AlexandredOr's comment.

It is not marked as a training image.

Posted

• psaha by psaha scientist

Just wrote under the object wondering about the colours. Lensing itself does not change the colours of the images, but differential absorption by the galaxy can alter the colours a little. A good object to re-examine when the full dashboard comes online.

In general, best to mark all plausible candidates - better to have some non-lenses followed up for further observations than to miss a lens by being pessimistic!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to psaha's comment.

Thank you @psaha

We really appreciate your explanation 😃 I was also wondering whether the green strip artifact could of possible altered the color of the right 'lens', not knowing the extent the images have been processed, I guess it will be difficult to tell.

Posted

• psaha by psaha scientist in response to Capella05's comment.

Yes, it would be nice if we could turn off one of the wavelength bands (the green band probably just affects one of the bands u g r i z). I believe the full dashboard will let one adjust the mapping from bands to the false-color image, but don't know exactly.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to psaha's comment.

I guess we will have lots to look forward too 😄

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

I just collected it as a "possible." The difference in colour makes it more likely to be either two stars, or a star and a quasar, but if there is a lot of dust outside the red galaxy then it could be a double, as you say. Certainly the lower of the two point sources has the colour of a quasar! Nice catch, this. 😃

Here's my collection, in case you want to follow it: CSWS000f4s

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Thanks @drphilmarshall 😃

Posted