Space Warps Talk

Silly questions

• AlexandredOr by AlexandredOr

When we get this tag : Nice! There is no gravitational lens in this field! after studying an image, does it mean a contrario that in the other images, non tagged with this "Nice! There is no gravitational lens in this field!" there is inevitably one, or more, lens ??

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

No ! 😄
    There is a subset of 600 (I think) images that have been carefully looked at by the scientist and they decided there was not a lens in them.
    These images are also part of the training.

Posted

Thank you Els 😄

Posted

• FBloggs by FBloggs

Is it the whole sky that we are looking at or just particular sections?

Posted

Good question ! I'm impatient to know the answer... 8D

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Just a particular section of the sky 😃

You can find out more information here CFHTLS Survey

Posted

Thank you Capella05. Here is the answer : CFHTLS is a survey conducted with the CFHT 3.6m telescope using the Megacam camera. It targeted 4 patches of the sky, adding up to about 150 sq deg It's finally a very short piece of sky we are studying !

Posted

Another silly question : when arcs are not too close to the lens, must we mark them too ? 😕

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

I think the software wants you to mark the arcs, not the centre galaxy.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I think Alexandre is asking about marking arcs that are far from the lensing galaxies.
    For me, if an arc is too far away, it cannot be a lensed arc and I won't mark it.
    Unless the lensing galaxy is very very massive, arcs will be close to the galaxy.

Posted

Thank you both of you. 😉

Posted