Space Warps Talk

Lens, arm, or banana galaxy?

• keith_edkins by keith_edkins

Close to the right edge, 1/6 of the way down. (please be gentle with me, I'm new here!)

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Welcome Keith 😃

That is an unusual image - the object does appear to be lens like, although it is somewhat displaced compared to the galaxy...I am thinking it could perhaps be a overlap, but after looking at it for a while I am not going to discount it. I am hoping one of my fellow science team members will come along shortly and have a look!

No bananas or arms in sight 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

My gut reaction was : not a lens. But looking at it a bit more made me doubt.
    Definitely a weird one ! Nice catch !

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

Hi @keith_edkins !

Good catch indeed - while it has the shape of a spiral arm, its got the brightness we expect from a lensed source, so its definitely worth looking into more. Maybe @anupreeta can dig out the neighbouring image so we can see whether theres a counter-image - or mirror image spiral arm - on the other side of the "lens"! I'll send her a message! 😃 Thanks!

Posted

• keith_edkins by keith_edkins

I have to say my own suspicion is that the blue is a "tadpole" like in this image with a chance alignment with a non-lensing foreground object

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin

Just another spiral galaxy:
    Check here

keith edkins, you're right !

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Thanks @Anupreeta! Amazing how your perceptions can change when you view the whole object 😃

Posted

• AlexandredOr by AlexandredOr

I'd go for a lens..

Posted