Space Warps Talk

100k milestone?

• Mizaru by Mizaru

It's actually 100,024 minus an unknown number of duplicated images, somewhere between hundreds and tens of thousands, I suppose. Not knowing how many I've looked at, I can't make a guess as to how often one spots a real lensed object. My hunch is that it is some where between 1 out of 100 to 1 out of 1,000.
    I have enjoyed it anyway. It is humbling to realize that many of the little blobs of color have as many stars in them as we can see with our eyes. Plus, some of the image fields are breathtakingly beautiful to me. I'll probably continue to use this site from time to time. I intend to get my telescope set up to help look for flashes on the moon in the next month.

Posted

• Mizaru by Mizaru

Now the counter reads 133,334. Perhaps, no more that 33,334 were duplicated images, leaving somewhere around 100,000 actual images. Of the last, approximately, 50,000, I have spotted 20 lenses that I have some confidence in. So that's, let's see, naught divided by naught, mumble, mumble, comes to around 1 lens per 2,500 viewed images. 😃
    The thing that interested me is that the arcs lacking lenses have some explanations, even though somewhat "iffy" in my opinion.

Posted