Space Warps Talk

ASW00021ph Slide Search

• tashipoo by tashipoo

hi, I think this object has at least some potential. Only about one third of the matching blue dot is visible at the top edge but it's definitely there (on the left side of the 2 galaxies) Maybe someday we could locate the slide above this one. Thanks.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

The images overlap, so, the complete image will turn up.

Posted

• tashipoo by tashipoo

thanks

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

putting the two images together, maybe a lens?

enter image description here
    enter image description here

http://talk.spacewarps.org/#/subjects/ASW00022ah top image

http://talk.spacewarps.org/#/subjects/ASW00021ph bottom image

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin

a note of caution: bigger looking galaxies are probably nearby to us... this means they are not at ideal distances to cause lensing/bending of light from distant objects. these galaxies are less likely or unlikely to have lensed images around them.

Posted

• tashipoo by tashipoo

This one appears to be a very good lens candidate despite the cautionary exhortations to the contrary.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

One of the scientists of this project tells you that this is probably not a lens. What more info do you need ?

Posted

• tashipoo by tashipoo in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Ouch. You just used the word "probably"--. anupreeta used that word too--along with "not ideal", "less likely" and "unlikely". These are not absolute statements of scientific certainty. What more "info" do I need? Are you saying there is no more to be known and that questioning the authorities, even in a playful way - is now forbidden? I joined this undertaking to be a small part of this process--and to see newly discovered cosmic wonders that few humans will ever experience. I really hope that the enthusiasm and joy that resides here now is not steadily diminished by such petty personal remarks. Olan R. Creel (tashipoo)

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to tashipoo's comment.

Hi Olan,

I do not see any petty personal remarks directed towards you in any of the posts above. ElisabethB asked a valid question - what further information do you need, in order to be convinced that the object in question is not a lens? One of the lead scientists on this project has pointed out that these galaxies are too near by to cause lensing.

As for the terminology we use ('Unlikely', 'Probable' etc...), if you read any scientific paper you will find it peppered with these terms. A lot of research in the field of Astronomy and Astrophysics is theoretical, and therefore a scientist must be careful in making absolute statements that are unsubstantiated.

As for your responses - I find that they do not come across as 'Playful'. Perhaps that was not your intention and it was just a bad choice of words, but reading the thread from start to finish I felt that you were being very dismissive towards the other posters.

We really love all the enthusiasm that everyone contributes towards Spacewarps, and as Moderators and Scientists we enjoy every minute we are on the site, but rudeness towards other users will not be tolerated.

Posted

• tashipoo by tashipoo in response to Capella05's comment.

I'll let her statement stand on its own merits. But up until this moment no one has stated that this is not a lens. I heard "probably", "not ideal" and "caution". And yes-those are key words in the scientific process. That's why I was joking around about "cautionary exhortations to the contrary". Hey--I still think it's funny. Please don't say that I have been very dismissive towards other posters. A very rare disagreement with moderators is not a personal attack. I'll pretend I didn't hear the "rudeness towards other users will not be tolerated" statement. What I will do though is take your indirect advice and stop trying to be funny. You may have a good point there. Good Evening

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

That is not a lens. 😃

Posted