Space Warps Talk

What would cause this arc?

• Traumat by Traumat

Obviously new here, hence the newbie confusing question
    Is it natural to have an arc as (i see) in this image? I see in the non-lens examples arcs and circles but they appear faint. This one does not have what I describe as a (core) to which there is a galaxy to lens the blue arc I see. I does just appear to be a group of galaxies together but the arc is confusing me.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi Traumat

Groups of galaxies can also produce lenses.

When I first saw this image, I thought it was a sim, with the well defined arc and counter image. But it's not a training image.

Looks interesting.

Posted

• Traumat by Traumat

Thanks ElisabethB for the quick response
    I've been digging through the posted images to find similar ones with no luck.

Posted

• Tom_Collett by Tom_Collett scientist

This is a very interesting image. The configuration of the blue light looks just like what would be expected for a lensed background source. But the red light isn't in the centre of the blue.

I confess I don't know what to make of this. It could be a coincidental alignment of blue objects; it could be that there is lots of 'dark' matter off to the left of the lens (in this case I simply mean matter that isn't emitting in the optical); or it could be that the two galaxies (red and brown) are combining to produce a really interesting lensing geometry.

I'm leaning towards coincidence - but if it is a real lens it's a very cool one.

Posted

• Traumat by Traumat

Excellent!
    Thank you so much for the feedback. It makes the search so much more satisfying and gives you the feeling that you're making a difference.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Tom Collett's comment.

Is it possible that simulated lenses are being introduced without the 'Training Image' tag? In this case a bad sim?

Posted

• Tom_Collett by Tom_Collett scientist in response to Capella05's comment.

I don't know, but if this is a sim the arcs aren't really in the place you'd expect them. It almost looks like a simulation that has been put on the wrong image (in which case the red light is a coincidence), I don't know if that's a bug seen before.

Hopefully it's not a simulation bug. If this object is really on the sky I'm intrigued by it.

Posted

• Traumat by Traumat

Well you must keep us advised of your findings please. My curiosity shall get the best of me on this one.
    Thanks Ted

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin

Sorry for all the fuss over the sim image which is not labelled. There are a few of them which were not labelled and injected I have requested the tech team to add this info. Hopefully, they will get working on it soon!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to anupreeta's comment.

Thanks @anupreeta - must admit this image did have us confused!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Tx Anu !

So, we've got some rogue sims on our hands ! 😄

Posted

• Traumat by Traumat

Thanks for the update! At least were catching them, sims or not!

Posted

• Tom_Collett by Tom_Collett scientist

Ah boo. This would have been such a cool object.

Posted