Space Warps Talk

Parallax question

• dtrucken by dtrucken

OK, I've read a little bit about the lens idea. And, I understand these objects to be very very far away.

But, in principle, if the observer (us) were to move perpendicular to a new location, the image we see in the new location should be slightly different, right? -- I want a 3D experience 😃

So, my guess is that the Earth's orbit around the Sun isn't enough shift to measure a change in the image. But, is our Galaxy moving fast enough in relation to these objects to notice a difference in a human lifespan?

I guess I'm just trying to come to grips with how big the observable Universe is.

Posted

• AlexandredOr by AlexandredOr

Hi ! I think that the Earth needs 110 million years to make a Milky Way hemi-circle. It would be nice for the parallax of very far objects. But a bit too long for an astronomer life... (Is it the sens of your question ?)

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

Sort of. I knew it was an incredibly long time for our solar system to make an "orbit" around the center. But, with the incredible distances, and fast relative speeds of galaxies flying apart, could our entire galaxy be moving perpendicular to one of these lens fast enough to detect such a thing in say 30-50 years? (Of course, I don't know enough to know if even such a thing happened if it would yield any interesting information.)

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to dtrucken's comment.

I think even 30-50 years will not be long enough to see any difference. When you think about it, the constellations are pretty much the same to the naked eye today, as they were several thousand years ago, when they were named by Arabic / Greek / Roman astronomers.

If we can't see a difference with regards to objects within our own galaxy, then I think it is highly unlikely that we would see a difference to objects in other galaxies in such a small time-span.

It is a interesting thought - and maybe someone will come back with a more 'scientific' explanation 😃

Posted