Space Warps Talk

blue outlines - there are so many!

• lodilady by lodilady

In the upper right quadrant there is a sim around the large elliptical. However, I'm having trouble distinguishing between the objects with blue rings around them that are lenses, and the objects that have blue rings, like the upper right object, that are not lenses. Advice appreciated.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

The object in the top right corner is a star. The blue 'ring' is an optical artifact.

Posted

• JasonJason by JasonJason

That image is a training image and that object upper right is the SIMULATED lens

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to JasonJason's comment.

Training images can also be sim free images 😃

Every now and then you will receive a pop-up saying 'Congratulations - there are no simulated lenses in this image' - these images are also marked as 'Training Images'.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to lodilady's comment.

Lenses will be quite well defined - galaxies that have rings / or spiral features will tend to be more 'Fuzzy' looking in these images.

Posted

• JasonJason by JasonJason

She or he started this post and stated, "In the upper right quadrant there is a sim around the large elliptical." So based on that It would seem to be a simulated message came up that came up. boldfaced mine

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to JasonJason's comment.

The OP has asked for advice on how tell real lenses apart from other objects, both myself and Els has given some advice. If she (apologies if I have the gender wrong!) has further questions, she can post them here and we can give her more detailed advice.

I am sorry if my reply to you has taken this thread off topic. I was just stating that just because an image says 'Training image' - it does not necessarily mean there is a simulated lens contained within it 😃

Apologies to @lodilady that this thread has gone off topic

Posted