Space Warps Talk

Is it real?

• dtrucken by dtrucken

Is this a real galaxy? Seems too posed to be real

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin

All galaxies are real in these data. We have just added lensed images of galaxies and quasars around some of the real galaxies. Everything else is real including this one. It just happens to fit within this image 😃

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

thanks for the information. it is really cool. even though it wasn't what we are looking for, i was excited to "find" it!.

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

how long ago were these images taken, and by what kind of instrument (earth or space based) ?

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

They're from a survey called CFHTLS. You can read more about it on the Space Warps blog - there's a link there through to the survey website.

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

thanks! this project pretty darn cool. how many scientists are working on this, any how many of us citizen volunteers so far?

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

Um - there's about 5 pros who are active in Talk, plus we have three excellent and experience moderators - then there's a few more pro's working behind the scenes on analyzing the classifications etc. So far I've counted over 20,000 citizen scientists contributing classifications, not sure how many are active in Talk. Maybe a hundred? Over 5000 sign in to the site, anyway. Glad you like it! We're having fun too 😃

Posted

• dtrucken by dtrucken

Thanks again.... How can I find if this one has a name? Or even where it might be? Dunno, just something about it that is mesmerizing.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to dtrucken's comment.

We would need the co-ordinates of the galaxy to look that up on NED etc... - quite a few have expressed an interest in knowing if it would be possible...@DrPhilMarshall ??

Posted