Space Warps Talk

Possible lens?

• JasonJason by JasonJason

area I think is lensed what do you think

area I think is lensed what do you think

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Don't think this is a lens because the blue arc is too far away from the supposedly lensing galaxies.
    And the two orange blobs could also be stars.
    Anyone else ?

Posted

I should have made the red circle a little smaller, just where the two blue arcs are , they seem to be defining a circle which includes one small orange and the large orange.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

I would also say it is a bit far away from the 'lensing' galaxy to be one - but then that is just my personal opinion.

I find that if you think you have found a possible lens, look at the image as a whole - Are there a lot of other similar blue blobs? Are there a lot of artifacts? Is it possible that it is just a chance alignment?

But if you think it is a lens, always mark it as one. We want your opinion after all 😃

Posted

Here is an example of 4 blue arcs being far away
    ASW00002i5
    enter image description here

Posted

• AlexandredOr by AlexandredOr

For my own, I can imagine that arcs are "far" from the lensing galaxy.. But I'm waiting that they are concentric. It's not really the case in the first proposed example. So I'd say it's nor lensing...
    For the secong example, a doubt persists for me.. Seems to be a better candidate, could be...

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin in response to JasonJason's comment.

The blue vertical arc-like image doesn't seem to have the correct orientation with respect to the red galaxy. It would be more believable if it was slightly tilted towards the lensing galaxy instead of away from it.

Posted

Thats a training image

Posted