Space Warps Talk

good or bad to not select simulations

• aspringer by aspringer

Often if I strongly feel a candidate is a simulation I will not select it. Sometimes the program will tell me I've missed a simulation, which for me only reinforces that I am correctly identifying simulations (and therefore not selecting them)

What is the preferred method when seeing obvious simulations.

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

Mark them! Some real lenses will be obvious too - and some will also look so outlandish you might think they are sims 😉 Best is to mark everything you think has been lensed, either by a real massive galaxy or a model one. Thanks! 😃

Posted

• Tom_Collett by Tom_Collett scientist

Tag 'em all! Just look at this guy:

ASW0000x1l

It's got simulation written all over it - but it's real!!!

Posted

• JP84001 by JP84001

I just started with this but I'm already worried about incorrectly marking an object as a lense. How much time for the real scientists will I be wasting if I mark an object that isn't actually a lense?

Posted

• surhudm by surhudm scientist

Hi @JP84001, please do not worry about the waste of time on our side. You can go through the spotter's guide to have a look at the kind of lens configurations that are typically expected. If you think something looks like any of those or any of the training images, then please mark it.

Posted

• todash by todash

Something I've noticed is that when you mark a simulated lens it goes into the My Candidates collection... is this just me? Is there anyway to stop this happening? I don't want to have to go through the entire candidates collection to remove the training images...

Posted

• rbkelsey by rbkelsey

How 'speculative' should we be here? I have been on the site for under an hour now and have seen two instances of miniscule red galaxies that, on dashboard/bluer setting, appear to have a VERY faint blue halo. These are a far cry from the obvious simulations - closer to "seeing" a galaxy at the limiting mag of a small amateur scope (does anyone actually do vis astro anymore?!?).
    Thanks.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Could you give us an example ? That would make it easier.
    But from your description these minuscule galaxies could just as well be stars from our galaxy..

Posted

• rbkelsey by rbkelsey

ElisabethB, thanks for the quick reply.. ASW0000jlf (juliette lima foxtrot). Middle of image, several red - with - halo examples. If not lensing, what is it?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I think these are stars.
    Anyone else?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to ElisabethB's comment.

I am going for stars 😃 I actually had this image to classify, and at the time I remember thinking 'Wow, what a chance alignment'.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

I have created a new sticky thread (at the request of the scientists ) to discuss the classification of simulated lenses. Feel free to continue the discussion here.

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

Hi all! New blog post is up, about the sims: http://blog.spacewarps.org/2013/05/27/sim-city/
    We try and answer your questions a bit more fully, so thanks for your help writing it! 😃

Posted