Space Warps Talk

Any more autistics here?

• chaoticidealism by chaoticidealism

Hey, guys 😃 I've finally decided to stick around, because this stuff is just SO cool.

As the title says, I'm autistic, which nowadays is nowhere near as rare as it used to be, and this task is absolutely speaking to the astronomy-loving detail monkey in me! Like most autistic people, I focus on details and don't notice the big picture, which can be a problem when you get stuck polishing the faucet instead of cleaning the bathroom, but is apparently pretty useful when it comes to detecting gravitational lenses. Or, more often, simulations--but I hope some of the ones I marked were real instead of me seeing patterns that weren't really there.

When I was about twelve I got fascinated with astrophysics and I could have explained exactly what gravitational lensing was--though I would've bored you to tears with the jargon, since back then I had no idea how to use casual language. Nowadays, I'm going to college (with intensive support, but doing well). I'm a human factors psychology major and I want to design programs and tech to be used by people with disabilities.

So... anybody else out there with a dash (or more) of autism? Do you find it's actually helpful?--or does it just stick you to the computer for hours at a time, so you start dreaming about galaxies? 😃

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Hi chaoticdealism 😃

Welcome, and yes we do have other autistic members - that is the amazing thing about citizen science 😄 It is accessible to everyone!

One of the first members of galaxy zoo I ever met (in the flesh) was autistic, and he is now a good friend of mine 😃 He is also an absolute mine of information!

As for myself - I am more OCD 😄

Posted