Space Warps Talk

Where do I go to see the best stuff?

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

Post your suggestions here!

Posted

I'll start! I'm loving the collections of good strong lens candidates currently being made by various collaboration members:

"Not simulated" by @DeepWatch http://talk.spacewarps.org/#/collections/CSWS00051k

"Good Candidates" by @Tom_Collett http://talk.spacewarps.org/#/collections/CSWS00060j

"Definites" by @drphilmarshall http://talk.spacewarps.org/#/collections/CSWS000cne

It's like collecting baseball cards, or football stickers 😃

Posted

I also like the two pages Talk makes for us:

Trending: shows you what the hot topics are - scroll down, there's collections and discussions as well as images

Recent: shows you what's happening now - again, scroll down for the discussions and collections.

Also, notice the "Load more" signs - if you like browsing images, keep going! 😃

Posted

• bungee1 by bungee1

I have a niggling little question; what about those strands of gas? If part of looking for lensing is related to dark matter, and in the last two weeks or so there has been news of a long strand of hydrogen suspended between two nearby galaxies suspected to be supported or held in place by postulated dark matter, couldn't we make note of such things? Obviously, it would be important to make sure the gases are away from obvious "normal" sites, but I have seen a couple of things that rather gave me pause...it's just a thought, sorry if off target too far. 'ta.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to bungee1's comment.

You can make your own collection for anything that you think is unusual, and add those images along with comments to it.

Just shout if you need instructions on how to create your own - it took me a while to realize how to do it 😃

Posted

• ccastro by ccastro

Q. How can we know if we are doing good searching?

Posted

• surhudm by surhudm scientist

@Capella05, could you please make this thread a sticky? Thanks! 😃

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Done!

Posted

• tashipoo by tashipoo in response to Capella05's comment.

Yes, i'm embarrassed. How do I go about posting a collection i've made (and where does it go.) I think I need a step by step. Thanks

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to tashipoo's comment.

Here you go 😃 - Making your own collection in 5 easy steps

1. If you classifying images over at Spacewarps there are two places where you can choose the image you want to collect. On the 'Classify' page, select the 'Talk' button (the speech bubble on the dashboard). A new window will then open in Talk. If you have already classified the image, go to 'Profile' and select your chosen image. You will then be navigated to Talk.
    2. On the image in 'Talk' in the left hand corner, superimposed over the image, is the 'Collect' button. Click on it!
    3. The collections menu will now appear, and you have the option of adding the image to one of your default collections (e.g. My Collection) or creating a new collection. Click on 'New Collection'.
    4. Give your new collection a name and description and save.
    5. To view your collection go to your 'Profile' (Top Toolbar in Talk) and scroll down to the bottom of the page. You will now be able to select a collection and view all the images in it 😃

Remember you do not need to create a new collection for every image you can add them into your existing collections!

Posted

Thanks, and where and how would I post that collection for others to view? ( I see a "collections" category on the search page.)

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

If you create a collection - everyone can see it. Some are randomly shown on the 'recent' page, but if someone Iooks at your profile page, they will be able to access your collections.
    You can also post a link to one (or many!) in a thread.

Posted

I know its hard to believe but---how do I post a link in a thread (and what is a thread?) Thanks for your patience.

Posted

• tashipoo by tashipoo in response to drphilmarshall's comment.

Dr. Marshall, when you're able, could you check out my collection "finalists" by tashipoo. Thanks for this great experience--even after 30,000 views I want to keep exploring. There's no Apollo program but today's young scientists have even more to inspire them.

Posted