Space Warps Talk

Introductions

• arfon by arfon

OK, I'll start. My name is Arfon Smith and I work for the Zooniverse. I spend most of my days thinking about how to be better at building new Zooniverse citizen science projects. It's a lot of fun.

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

πŸ˜ƒ Hi there! I'm Phil, one of the science team PIs. I started searching for lenses back in 2005, with this crazy idea of trying to write a software robot that would find lenses for me. That sort of worked (see http://arxiv.org/abs/0805.1469 for details!), but while I was writing that a colleague said to me, why don't you just get lots of people to look at the images? And here we are πŸ˜ƒ I'm hoping we find some lensed quasars!

Posted

• Freethesouls by Freethesouls

Hi. I am Thomas and I done many other science programs like galaxy Zoo 4

Posted

• bitterdave by bitterdave

Hey folks. Really find grav lenses fascinating. I don't know if its just me but I seem to be seeing an issue with the "dashboard" option. Its showing me the image to come instead of the image I'm currently looking at. Has anyone else seen this?

Posted

• begonjas by begonjas

Hello! I am Josip and I am a student. I was participating in 2 ZooU projects, and it was fun. Hope I can help here also.

btw, edit button is not working for me

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

Hello I am LIZ been hanging around the zoo's for a while.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Hello fellow SpaceWarp hunters πŸ˜ƒ

I am Capella and I am part of the science team here at SpaceWarps. I am not a scientist, but have have doing various Zooniverse projects for the past 5 years.

The one thing I have learnt in all that time, is that there is no such thing as a silly question πŸ˜ƒ and I don't bite πŸ˜„

I look forward to meeting / chatting to you all!

Capella

Posted

• Thomas_J by Thomas_J moderator

I'm Thomas J, one of the science team. I've been involved in many Zooniverse projects since 2008 as a moderator and classifier. I'm passionate about deep space, relativity and, in particular, gravitational lensing. I plan to spend as much time as possible here at SpaceWarps Talk and I'll be very happy to help out answering questions as best I can.... Happy SpaceWarping!

Posted

• Pat by Pat

Hi, I am Pat one of the original zooites that went in search of lenses and ended up finding hedgehogs. πŸ˜„ I wish there was a way to go back on the images, as once the little box pops up you can't then save into your favorites. Or if you can, then I click next tooquickly and wish I could go back one image to save. Nice photos of lenses though. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• cozmik by cozmik

Hi, I'm Coz and have been classifying for a couple of years on the various projects. I have a question. Are there lens effects with no visible lensing object? Part of an image I saw just as I clicked away from it looked like a lens effect around nothing but blackness. Also how do I go back to a previous image as I would like to have another look at it? Thanks for any replies. C

Posted

• Jacko99 by Jacko99

Jacko99 here, after spending a couple of years Planet Hunting, I thought it would be a nice change to work on this project for a while.

Posted

• kellinora by kellinora admin

Hi Everybody! I'm an educator on the Zooniverse team. Super excited about this project. Now I'm off to search for some lenses!

Posted

• jules by jules

Hi everyone!. I've been involved with zooniverse projects since the start back in 2007 as classifier and moderator and just couldn't resist this one! Love the interface and happy to be a space warp hunter. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• STM by STM in response to drphilmarshall's comment.

I thought this would be a good application for the machine learning techniques I'm currently learning. I'm not surprised a pro has already done so. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Tonibee by Tonibee

Hi, I'm Tony. I heard about this on BBC Radio this week. I love everything to do with what's above my head, scientifically and philosophically. I don't work in the field or have any related-qualifications, I just think about stuff. Only problem is, I get so absorbed in the wonder of what I'm looking at I think I'm 'spotting' too much!!

Can I add an FAQ?
    "What happens to an image I've marked?"

Posted

• AlexandredOr by AlexandredOr

Hello !! I'm here too. Glad to be here. Fascinating project !!

Posted

• ThickMcRunfast by ThickMcRunfast

Hi, my name is Jim. This is a great project. I've participated in planet hunters and SETI live, and I couldn't resist this. Happy hunting!

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Hi, I'm Christine. I am active in Galaxy Zoo and became interested in possible strong gravitational lenses around galaxies when I was posting in the Galaxy Zoo forum.

Possible strong gravitational lenses

I love the name of this zoo, SpaceWarps. It is more exciting and informative, much shorter and much easier to type!

Posted

• M_Cubed by M_Cubed

Hey gang, I'm M Cubed--fairly new to Zooniverse. I find this project to be totally absorbing, really beautiful to look at, and satisfying that we are indeed putting Professor Einstein's ideas to practical use.

Posted

• Valerie_H by Valerie_H

Hi I'm Val I was invited to take part because I participated in an earlier project. Great project and glad to be doing my little bit.

Posted

• FrozenFury by FrozenFury

Hi, I am Pengui. I am very interested in science and space, and I think this project is a great idea!

Posted

• Keith_C by Keith_C

Hi all, I'm Keith. I heard about SpaceWarps from Google news and thought I'd have a look, only to become hooked! Great project πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Thomas_J by Thomas_J moderator in response to jules's comment.

πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Thomas_J by Thomas_J moderator in response to AlexandredOr's comment.

πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Maneis by Maneis

Hi, I'm Marcio. I participate in planet hunters, and now catching gravitational lenses.. I'm not a scientist, but I really like this huntings.

Posted

• B_SIDE by B_SIDE

Hello! My name is Jared. From my armchair, I'm more philosopher than economist, and more economist than scientist. But I'm also more scientist than most. Happy to join the project.

Posted

• jon273 by jon273

Hello fellow warpies. My name is Jon, I'm not a professional astronomer but I am aiming for status of Top Seeded Amateur.

By day, I argue with computers for a living, and by night I like to chase lenses and categorise galaxies.

I was introduced to the Zooniverse by Galaxy Zoo, which I think is a fantastic way to avoid doing anything at work.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to B SIDE's comment.

Welcome Jared - good to have you here, hope you have as much fun as we are!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to jon273's comment.

Fancy meeting you here πŸ˜„ Welcome Jon, good to have you aboard!

Posted

• Chocstar by Chocstar

Glad to have finally found my way here from misplacing the space warp email in my warped email box (or was it a black hole). It's fun being a citizen scientist πŸ˜‰

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Chocstar's comment.

Hi Chocstar
    Welcome to SW and happy hunting ! πŸ˜„

Posted

• Anaclaudia by Anaclaudia

Hi! I'm Ana ClΓ‘udia, and I'm into Zooniverse since 2009, helping and having fun in GalaxyZoo, IceHunters,Supernovae, etc, etc, etc. I love science and I love Zooniverse!

@cozmik, give a look at http://spacewarps.org/#/guide to see false positives like "loners".

But, I'm thinking, the black holes can be gravitational lenses. So, could we see arcs around "nothing" (around black holes)?

Posted

• lodilady by lodilady

Hello all. I'm Beth and I live in a valley where you can't see many stars, so I'm happy to be here! I've participated in the various Galaxy Zoos (most versions) and Moon Zoo, too. Being able to be a citizen-scientist is a thrill, and I'm grateful for the chance to think and talk things over with other curious people.

Posted

• howardx1 by howardx1

Hello SpaceWarpers. I've just 'trespassed' over from the Galaxy Zoo project to try my hand here. It's brilliant to see how the Zooniverse as a whole has mushroomed into so many interesting projects since the original GZ launched back in 2007 πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• chaoticidealism by chaoticidealism

Lisa. I'm a psychology major, but astronomy is a hobby. I'm also a major nerd, but around here that seems to be a good thing. It's funny how they can give us their repetitive, supposedly boring work... and we still enjoy it. I find it rather meditative. And some of those images are just beautiful.

Posted

• Traumat by Traumat

Pleasure to become involved with this project.
    I'm Ted. Work as a Paramedic and found your project while working the night shift. One can only watch so many training videos between calls LOL Classified as a space nerd at my station so this is right up my alley!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Welcome old hands and new hands ! ;-D
    Happy Hunting !

Posted

• SouthernGypsies by SouthernGypsies

Hi I'm Geraldine and I am belatedly saying hello πŸ˜ƒ I started out classifying star clusters and then some galaxies and now lenses πŸ˜ƒ I am an absolute novice, but I love it! Thanks to your awesome teams for opening this up to us "citizens". xoxox

Posted

• Damon22 by Damon22

Hi, I'm Damon and I've processed about 84,000 images so far and enjoyed the challenge of each one. I am a geophysicist so am more Earth-oriented but I have always loved Cosmogeny/Cosmology, Just want to endorse Anaclaudia's comment (and similar by others) about apparent well-formed arcs without a lensing galaxy to be seen. I have seen a few of these and have not marked them because of our training. Is this the right thing to do?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Damon22's comment.

Yes πŸ˜ƒ In these images the lensing (or foreground galaxy) will be apparent.

Posted

Oh, and welcome to all the new Spacewarpers πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Zanna640 by Zanna640

Hi, I'm Zanna. I'm not a scientist. I'm just a grandma with lots of time on my hands. I'm happy to find a place where I can put my time to good use. Thank you, devs, for creating this wonderful site!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Zanna640's comment.

Welcome Zanna! It does not matter if you are not a trained scientist - we are ALL citizen scientist on here πŸ˜ƒ

It's nice to know we are making a contribution too science, no matter how small πŸ˜„

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

Hello everyone, my name is Charles, I live near Pavia - Italy, are an amateur astronomer, I've done in the past and deep sky observations at the telescope photographs, now I love to make a contribution to this project. I rated many galaxies in GalaxyZoo last year but I must say that I find it very rewarding to be able to interact on time (almost) real with moderators and scientists SpaceWarps. Good luck to all

Posted

Hi Charles

Welcome to Space Warps !

Happy hunting ! πŸ˜„

Posted

• akeirl201 by akeirl201

Hello! I've just joined. Science, History and English enthusiast!

Thanks. Alex Keirl

Posted

• Misty_Blue by Misty_Blue

Hi I'm Carol, I'm an artist.As an obsessive compulsive type I may need rescuing from here at some point in the future. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• triple_harpist by triple_harpist

Hi to everyone, especially a few names I recognise from spending many happy hours on Galaxy Zoo !
    Just discovered this project after watching Brian Cox last night in Star gazing live !

Posted

• Rosie_Pushka by Rosie_Pushka

Hi, I'm Rosie-found this after watching Stargazing Live last night-haven't got a clue what I'm doing but hooked already! It's all so fascinating! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Welcome Everyone πŸ˜„

Recognise a few name from GalaxyZoo.

@Rosie - if you have any questions just let one of us Mods know! We don't bite πŸ˜„

Posted

• MeganRobertson by MeganRobertson

Hello. I'm Megan and I wandered in after hearing this project mentioned on Stargazing Life.

There's just one problem: this is addictive!!!!

Posted

You have no idea ! πŸ˜„

Welcome and Happy hunting !

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

I vaguely remember that I had a life before Galaxy Zoo. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted