Space Warps Talk

Simulated Lensed objects without Galaxy

• Mizaru by Mizaru

On several occasions there have been orphaned lensed objects, ASW00091vy, ASW0008yxt, ASW0008yxd and some others not quite as pronounced.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Thank you for reporting this @Mizaru

I am sure @Anupreeta or another member of the science team will get back to you. If you come across any others, please post them in this thread.

Posted

• Mizaru by Mizaru

Sure, no problem capella.

ASW0004198, ASW0006vqz, ASW0006mdi, ASW0000w4j, ASW0002qze, ASW0007lus, ASW0007gzt and one other that seemed iffy.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

These black disks with blue lens around them are probably an artifact. These photos are heavily processed to get rid of cosmic rays. Sometimes a hole gets punched out of the images, and then the computer software tries to reconstruct what was in there, but it leaves a black disk.
    Eg faint blue circle at 11, halfway to edge.

could be artifact

Posted

• Mizaru by Mizaru

Hi Budgieye.
    I thought I noticed something and with print scrn and paint. I was able to overlay the blue arcs in ASW0008yxt and ASW0008yxd. The two photos are offsets of the same features.
    Would the software reconstructs be identical in both pictures?

Posted

I think that the sim lenses are "painted" around a selection of galaxies around the whole one degree "photo" then the photo is cut up and presented to us, just like the original photo is presented to us, in small images. So you will see same sim in several images.

Posted

• Mizaru by Mizaru

Thank you Budgieye. That makes sense. I, originally, did not realize that there was any overlap or that the images were cut up?

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin

@Budgieye's explanation is right. The sims are added on top of galaxies for the entire survey region and the images are cut in small sizes with overlap between neighboring regions. So, everything around the borders will be seen in multiple cutouts.

Posted

• Mizaru by Mizaru

Thanks anupreeta!
    When I use a very short focal length eye piece in my telescope, my field of vision is small. I supposed that the same thing was occurring with your pictures and I am sure it does. I have seen many Hubble pictures made of composites but I do not know the size of each composite. Until recently, I did not know that these were from Hubble?
    I'll leave the thinking up to you folks, you don't pay enough for me to strain my brain, much! 😃
    Thanks again!

Posted

The photos aren't from Hubble, they are from a telescope in Hawaii, the CFHT

Read this first. http://talk.spacewarps.org/#/boards/BSW0000002/discussions/DSW0000301

Posted

• Mizaru by Mizaru

Thanks. I had already looked at the link. Unfortunately, I have grown old and have forgotten more than I know. 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Giggle ! You are definitely not the only one ! 😄

Posted

• Mizaru by Mizaru

Wow ElizabethB, great, you have a sense of humor!!! 😃
    Most of the folks on spacewarps seem stodgy, or else I fail at telling anything funny.
    Life is the only thing that is really that important and it goes down easier with some laughter. 😃

Posted