Space Warps Talk

Marking Sims causes slide show to freeze.

• Damon22 by Damon22

Every time recently that I mark a Sim, the slide show freezes and Finished Marking doesn't respond. Have to logout and login to move on,.

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex

I am having the same problem. I see very few sims any more, but when one shows up, marking the sim causes the slide show to freeze.

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin

Thanks for reporting the problem. Please collect the images in Talk and post their IDs here. This might speed up the debugging process. Thanks.

Posted

• akapadia by akapadia

@Damon22 and @biggsjrex, can you please offer more information. Much of the website relies on a modern browser. If running on an older computer, slower performance would be expected.

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex

I am using an older mac (iBook G4) and Safari 5.0.6 to access the Spacewarps website. I had no problems with the Sims until a few weeks ago. As I said in my first post, at some point I began to see fewer Sims (less than one per hundred slides), and when a Sim appeared, the slide show froze when I marked the Sim and clicked "Finished marking". If I leave the Sim unmarked and click next, the slide show still freezes.

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex

Image ASW0000004 contained a Sim which caused the above mentioned problem - the Slide Show to froze up when it appeared.

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex

Another image with a SIm which causes the Slide Show to freeze up - ASW000000d

Posted

• lamperti by lamperti

Here is one image with a sim that froze on me: Image ASW000000e

Using Firefox.

Rather than logout/login, I just hit Refresh. I loose the count though

Posted

• Damon22 by Damon22

@akapadia I use Chrome - Windows 7

Posted

• Damon22 by Damon22

Image ASW0000003 is one culprit

Posted

• lamperti by lamperti

Image ASW0000009 is another

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex

Found another Sim that causes the program to freeze - ASW0000007

Posted

• akapadia by akapadia

@biggsjrex Can you open the javascript console? If so, do you see any errors? Perhaps it has a funny messages about a tainted canvas.

Posted

• Damon22 by Damon22

ASW0000006 is another freezer

Posted

Whenever there's a sim, there's a mask layer on it which automatically generates the feedback message depending on your marker location. This mask checking requires newer machines + browser and probably, frame freezing occurs if you are using an older machine+older browser. @akapadia is going to try and reproduce this problem with some older machines, when possible.

Posted

• mitch by mitch

Image ASW0000003 is another

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Image ASW0000008 is another - they seem to be all the sims that were not originally marked as one.

I am also seeing a pattern in the id numbers...

Posted

• mitch by mitch

Image ASW000000c is another

Posted

This problem is going to be fixed soon. Thanks so much for reporting the ASW IDs!!!
    Please continue reporting as before, if you do experience this again after 1-2 days.

Posted