Space Warps Talk

There are two "Spotter's Guides" and many people won't understand messages about them

• TonyJames by TonyJames

For some time, I have been wondering why popups appear telling me to refer to "the Spotter's Guide" when I have something called "Spotter's Guide" open in front of me all the time.

Today, I realized that the "Spotter's Guide" link on the LHS takes you to a different page than the one that is called the "Spotter's Guide" on the RHS.

My advice is to change the name of one of them - otherwise you will have many people like me who look through 1000s of images before finding out that they had never looked at the information available on what to look for.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to TonyJames's comment.

They are essentially the same thing. The images on the RHS link to the relevant section in the full version (click on the 'merger' image and you will be taken to an explanation as too why a merger is not a lens). We decided not to include text on the abridged version, so it would not clutter up the screen.

Maybe we need to make it more apparent that the images are hyperlinks?

Posted

• TonyJames by TonyJames in response to Capella05's comment.

Yes, that would be good. I didn't know they were hyperlinks so I never clicked on them.

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin in response to TonyJames's comment.

Oops! We didn't foresee that one. I've issued @capella05's suggestion to thedev team. Thanks!

Posted

• Aprajita by Aprajita scientist, admin

@drphilmarshall, @TonyJames is right we should also modify the name of the pop-up spotter's guide to distinguish the two.
    thanks!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to drphilmarshall's comment.

I see we now have text advising the images are thumbnails - thanks @drphilmarshall!

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

No problem! Amit also made the thumbnails light up when you mouse over them, which I thought was neat 😃

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Good idea. It is confusing having two spotter's guides

Posted