Space Warps Talk

Quick Dashboard displaying wrong image? ** Fixed ? **

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

Update: I have just heard back from the SpaceWarps Developers and this issue should now be solved!

WooHoo!

Thank-you for bearing with us, and we are really sorry for the inconvience 😃
    Of course, if it happens to you again, please post in this thread, using the instructions below 😃 End of Update***

Original Post

Hi Spacewarpers,

We just want to let you know that we are aware of this problem, and we are trying really hard to fix it 😦
    To do that we need your help...

If this bug happens to you can you post in this thread at the time of occurrence, and include the following information:

• Browser/OS
    • How many images classified?
    • Did any simulations appear before experiencing the problem?
    • How was the dialog closed ("x" in the top right, "Close" button or click "Next!" again)?
    • Did any empty fields appear before experiencing the problem? And how was that
      dialog closed?
    • For those savvy with the JavaScript console, do any error appear? What are they?

I have locked the other threads relating to this bug, so we can try to gather the information the developers need in one place.

Thanks you so much for your patience and your assistance 😃

Posted

• gavinrider by gavinrider

This problem does not just affect the Dashboard - when I clicked "next" I got a message saying that the image actually contains a simulated lens, but the position of the simulated lens corresponded to the next image in the display sequence. It seems that the image displayed for inspection is updating one image behind the rest of the software, if that helps the programmers track down the problem.

I am using Mac OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard with Safari 5.1.9.

I don't think this is a browser problem.

Incidentally, it also means that any marked images are probably recording the markers on the wrong file, so this needs fixing so we can make meaningful contributions.

UPDATE - I just went back to classifying and the Dashboard was TWO IMAGES out of sync. Previously it was in sync. so whatever is causing this is a variable factor. Having come back here to report this, I went back to classifying again and the Dashboard was back in sync. This is weird!

I have noticed that each time I come out of the classifying screen to comment and then go back I get a different set of images to view so maybe there is a synchronisation error when the new set of images load?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to gavinrider's comment.

I am also suspecting it is not a browser problem, but the first thing a developer asks when you report a bug is, What browser? What OP?

Better to collect this information and they don't need it, than not collect it and they do!

Thanks 😃

Posted

• gavinrider by gavinrider in response to Capella05's comment.

Please see update! 😃

Posted

Also see update 😃

Posted

For those of you that are interested in the technical side of things, this issue was caused by an image being submitted twice, and causing the images to get out of sequence.

Posted

Dashboard does not seem to be working at all at the moment! Are they fixing it?

Posted

It should already be fixed. Have you tried closing your browser and reopening? (Long shot I know...)

Posted

• Greydrift by Greydrift

Opening Quick Dashboard, and getting different image. Happening now. Firefox 20.0.1 and Win 7

P.S. Went back to classify screen, hit F5, waited for reload, and now back in sync.

Posted

• Walhall by Walhall

After reviewing around 50 pics without the dashboard bug, the bug appears again. hmmm.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to Walhall's comment.

Browser? Operating system? do you have the ID's of the images (see original post)?

I know it is a bother, but we really need this information to make the problem less frequent than 1 in 50!

Posted

• jpiquard by jpiquard

Back to the official topic to add some statistics. Chrome 26 / XP Pro.
    The problem occurs after 22 submits, 23 submits, 8 submits, 9 submits and the recent one after 3 submits only.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to jpiquard's comment.

Thanks 😃 The developers are monitoring this thread, makes it easier if everything is in one place 😃

Posted

• akapadia by akapadia

Hi, unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this bug. Apologies for those experiencing this issue. To help nail down the problem we need more information.

• Browser/OS
    • How many images classified?
    • Did any simulations appear before experiencing the problem? How was the dialog closed ("x" in the top right, "Close" button or click "Next!" again)?
    • Did any empty fields appear before experiencing the problem? And how was that dialog closed?
    • For those savvy with the JavaScript console, do any error appear? What are they?

Previously this bug was apparent because there was a scenario when an image was submitted twice. This caused the images to get out of sequence, and resulted in a different image shown in the Quick Dashboard. That problem is resolved, so we need to look elsewhere for the current bug.

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Posted

• akapadia by akapadia in response to gavinrider's comment.

@gavinrider No changes have been made to the dashboard. What system and browser are you using? It seems that you've used the Dashboard successfully quite a number of times.

Posted

• jpiquard by jpiquard

Chrome v26/XP Pro
    An inspector error is present with 52 submits without problem 'Failed to load resource ... https://sleuther.herokuapp.com/events/'
    Each image is analyzed using systematically the Quick Dashboard.
    Sometimes hitting the 'Return' button from Quick Dashboard performs automatically the 'Next' action and a new image appear (4 times / 52 submit).
    A ghost popup appears and disappears without hitting a button.

Posted

• pique by pique in response to Capella05's comment.

this is happening to me this morning.
    multiple images.
    Safari 6.04 Mountain Lion on Mac.
    I was getting repeated images, then told I missed a simulated lens, then checked dashboard and it's a different image.
    I seemed to stop getting repeated images when refreshed the page and signed out then back in again, and dashboard was the same as the image for a bit but now dashboard is not the same again
    most recent is ASW0001p7d
    following image is also reported as ASW0001p7d

Posted

• jpiquard by jpiquard

Chrome v26 / XP Pro (1632 images viewed from the beginning)
    No problem detected after 61 submits without using systematically the Quick Dashboard tool (1 time every 3 to 4 images). It smells good !!!

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

We just had a report on the 'Recents' tab of this occurring again.

Hopefully @oh1qt will find his/her way here!

(http://talk.spacewarps.org/#/subjects/ASW0001trt)

Posted

• jpiquard by jpiquard

Chrome v26.0.1410.64 m / XP Pro. Bug is still there... after 56 submits with 1 training image detected, 1 training image undetected (exit by Close and Next) and 1 training image without simlen. The QD image is nearly the same as ASW00015vk (next one). Why the Standard image displayed on QD is not exactly the same png file ?

Posted

• sk001 by sk001

System has gone bonkers again. Logging out.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to sk001's comment.

I know you are frustrated but could you have a look at the initial post and let us know what went wrong?

Posted

• Walhall by Walhall

The bug appears after around half a dozen images. When you switch to the Dashboard, you'll have the next image on the screen but not the one you clicked on for the dashboard. If i refresh, it's again working correctly for 6 to 8 images and then the bug appears again.

Posted

• arfon by arfon in response to Walhall's comment.

Thanks for reporting this. We'll take a look.

Posted

• jpiquard by jpiquard

A really long series of 160 unsynchronized QD images !!! I have never pressed on the X or the Close button only hitting Next and when using QD only Return to continue.

Posted

I have reviewed hundreds of images today without a problem after reloading the page, but then tonight it went out of sync again.

Posted

• ThickMcRunfast by ThickMcRunfast

Mine is out of sync

Posted

• ThickMcRunfast by ThickMcRunfast

Running latest Firefox in Ubuntu 13.04

Posted

• Damon22 by Damon22

I have processed 8003 images so far but have never been able to use Dashboard - just get grey striped diagonal pattern over the whole screen. I'm using Google chrome browser with Windows 7 O/S. Any suggestions?

Posted

• Greydrift by Greydrift

Reviewed few hundred images without issue, then out-of-sync image/dashboard problem recurred. (Win 7, Firefox 21.0).

Hitting F5 continues to resolve the problem, and re-sync.

Posted

• star_drop by star_drop

The dashboard is out of synchronization for me too. Also on the main classify pages the same image is often shown back to back before going to a new image.
    I am using Windows Vista and Firefox 20.0.1

Posted

• star_drop by star_drop

I am using Vista and Firefox which just upgraded itself to version 21.0 .
    After examining over fifty additional images none of my previous issues have resurfaced and even the dashboard zooms using my mouse wheel.
    Perhaps others should try the browser upgrade?

Posted

• jpiquard by jpiquard

A really long series of images analyzed without problem of synchronization (418 submits). A pleasure to scan images, but some errors to report from application-2013-05-16_03-56-43.js. Like Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 502 (Bad Gateway). A complete extract of messages is available here SW_JS_App_2013_05_16.txt.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to jpiquard's comment.

Thanks jpiquard 😃

Posted

• jpiquard by jpiquard

In addition to me previous post, during these 418 images analysis, I have only used 'Next' or 'Return' buttons and never hit the 'Close' or the 'X' of popup message boxes.

Posted

• bungee1 by bungee1

I'm getting nothing on the dashboard now

Posted

• bungee1 by bungee1

I'm on XP and chrome but have had no problems on other parts of Zooniverse...

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to bungee1's comment.

Sometimes, refreshing the page helps .
    Or logging out and in again
    Or clearing the cache.
    let us know if it still occurs.

Posted

• akapadia by akapadia

@jpiquard Thank you for the detailed output. During that session a few thing occured:

• Error due to a video hosted on the Science page. I'l ask the Science team to send us the video so we host it ourselves, removing the need for the code needed to play it.
    • There was a disconnection with our servers. This happens either because our server had a momentary hiccup, or the internet connection to your computer was briefly lost.

It could be that the mismatch issue is related to a lost connection. Thank you again, now we have more to look into.

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz

I have never been able to see anything except a black square in dashboard. (nothing I have tried fixes this,
    I occasionally see the the same same image image twice twice. (log out, log in fixes this)
    I occasionally select a simulated lens but spacewarps shows me the lens as if I had failed to select it.
    Is there an e-mail address to which I can send javascript logs and error messages?

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz

application-2013-05-16_03-56-43.js:1submit image ASW0001m05
    2application-2013-05-16_03-56-43.js:1start image ASW0000dvz
    application-2013-05-16_03-56-43.js:1submit image ASW0000dvz
    2application-2013-05-16_03-56-43.js:1start image ASW00017f0
    application-2013-05-16_03-56-43.js:1submit image ASW00017f0
    2application-2013-05-16_03-56-43.js:1start image ASW00019n5

The code seems to be requesting (and supposedly receiving) the correct image.
    The server seems to be incorrectly sending duplicate images.

Posted

• star_drop by star_drop

On a fresh session today all of the problems have resurfaced.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to star drop's comment.

Did you notice if the site was sluggish? images taken a long time to load?

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz

Does NOT appear unusually slow, to me, when it is acting up.

I just got a misplaced 'wonderful ... you found a lens' balloon that was almost completely off the screen in the right bottom corner of my screen. I can read
    [Quote]

Wonderfu

lens

typically, len

('doubles') o

which look li

four, quasar

[/quote]

Posted

• mitch by mitch

Just experienced this for the first time -

Browser - Firefox
    3185 images
    Simulation box appeared pointing to empty area of current picture
    went to Quick Dashboard - different picture appeared with an obvious lens where the pointer would have been indicating
    Back to original pic - closed it with Close button
    Used Quick Dashboard again - the different picture with the lens showed up again

Edit:
    On classification 3188 - the picture with the lens that showed up in the Quick Dashboard just appeared for classification, and when I went to the Quick Dashboard on this one, a totally new image appeared. Then the 3188 image appeared twice in a row for classification.

Posted

• Mgorman by Mgorman

For three days the Quick Dashboard has not been loading images on my computer's Safari browser. All was fine until Friday evening. Just tried Chrome and it works. Mac OS 10.7.5, Safari 6.0.4. Ideas?

Thanks.

Posted

• mendosmoke by mendosmoke

Im using google crome and not only does it show a different image in the dashboard but it keeps showing me the same image twice. I will click next and it will show the same image as before and sometimes it will then say that there was a lense when I know there isnt.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Ouch,that isn't right .
    Will alert the techies !

Posted

• Orillian by Orillian

I didn't see this thread till after I'd passed the failed images, but the two times this happened to me the wrong image in the Quick Dashboard was always a simulation image.

Posted

• shakourifar by shakourifar

hi.I encountered this problem last night and also today. and another problem was repetition of checked image after checking it (sometimes with hints about existence of lenses in the second image. Here is answers to your questions:

• browser/Os is firefox20.0.1/windows Xp.
    • About 1000 classifications
      -yes i think sometimes there was some simulations
      -By clicking on "close"
      -No

Posted

• got_milk by got_milk

apparently I'm having some of the issues already noted.
    I had images repeating back to back 3-4 times, sometimes with a new image in between.
    I also had the simulated message pop up and after looking and looking I couldn't find the sim lens. The message was also in the middle of a black area and not near the sim as it had been before,
    I also noted that when I had a sim repeat on the subsequent images it wouldn't pop up the sim message.

Browser/OS Windows 7 using firefox 21.0
    How many images classified? 1622 
    Did any simulations appear before experiencing the problem? just a few, no more than 10
    How was the dialog closed ("x" in the top right, "Close" button or click "Next!" again)? the close button
    Did any empty fields appear before experiencing the problem? And how was that
    dialog closed? no
    For those savvy with the JavaScript console, do any error appear? What are they? no

Posted

• fermor332002 by fermor332002

It has been a big problem now for at least the past two days. 😭

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

why since several days the number of my simulations is stopped at 1.000 ?

Posted

• DocJohn by DocJohn

Seen this bug ~3 times today 29 May 2013. Get a prompt saying simulation pointing at empty point on image, then 3 pics later can see an obvious and unmarked simulation at exactly this point.

I don't mind too much if the simulation is wrong, but more importantly - have my notes been attached to the correct image !?!? Seriously worried here.

Posted

• DocJohn by DocJohn

PS, Windows 7, IE10.

Posted

• DocJohn by DocJohn

Any thoughts from the developers ? I'll be comfortable continuing if I'm reassured that notes are attached to the correct image ...

Posted

• Mizaru by Mizaru

Hi it's me again. I am using windows 8, google chrome. The image id is ASW0000006, I loaded it into the talk forum. Once I clicked on the quick dashboard the image changed. It would change back when return was clicked. I cycled the process several times with the same results.

Posted

• Mizaru by Mizaru

I have the before and after images saved as png files. I do not know how to get them into the Zooniverse.

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin in response to Mizaru's comment.

The ASW id is fine as such. You are saying that the images do not match between the classification mode and the QD mode. is that right? If you find more such cases please post the ASW ids here. I will forward them to the tech. team. Thanks!

Posted

• Mizaru by Mizaru

That is correct! One image showed an image that needed the qd to verify, the other image did not. The good news is that the bugs seem to be less frequent, you're gittin' there.

Posted

• postyuk by postyuk

Quick Dashboard doesn't work at all with me and hasn't since I started. Just assumed it was me.

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin in response to postyuk's comment.

Please try using chrome browser. Most people had no problems with QD on chrome.

Posted

• postyuk by postyuk in response to anupreeta's comment.

I have been using Chrome since before I joined Spacewarps and QD has never worked for me. Sorry... 😦

Posted

Ok. We will need more info than - "QD is not working". Please tell us what do you see when you click on QD. Are things different when you are logged in or not, or when you start a fresh browser ? What machine and OS you are using? Do you see any thing else not working in addition to QD?
    Thanks!

Posted

• postyuk by postyuk in response to anupreeta's comment.

Just tried QD in order to give an accurate respose and it now appears to be working for the first time. Wooohooo! Should now be a better experience. Thank you, if I have any other problems I will give you more accurate information next time.

Posted

Hi @postyuk (and ALL),

This is the response from tech team:
    MOst likely due to having an old graphics card. We use a WebGL extension to support the floating point values in the FITS image, not all machines support this extension. I just updated the code to fall back to the canvas implementation if the browser doesn't support floating point textures.

Good to know that the fallback option is working for you!

Posted

• Zigmeister by Zigmeister in response to Capella05's comment.

I must be really thick, but I've tried every click-trick I can think of and scrutinized the screen very closely but I can't find how to magnify - i.e. I can't identify the Quick Dashboard. It's important - please make it obvious, like, NAMING it, pretty please.

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin in response to Zigmeister's comment.

check your mouse /touchpad settings. what machine, mouse/touchpad are you using ?
    usually, its some combination of one or more fingers and moving them in a certain direction.

In the classification page, the button left of "Next" is for Quick Dashboard. If you hold your cursor on it, it says so. Does that answer your question?

Posted

• DocJohn by DocJohn

Haven't seen the problem where the Sim points to the wrong image for some time now. 😃

Posted

• drangle by drangle

I'm having that problem tonight. The image changed by going to the dashboard, in any other the image changed when I clicked bluer, in another I got a sim in a black spot on the image when I went to the dashboard the correct image appeared.

Posted

• mitch by mitch

It's happening again with me too, different image in dashboard - last time was a few weeks ago

changed to a different image queue, working okay now

Posted

• DocJohn by DocJohn

oh dear, everything's coming up twice.
    no problem with the Sims, this time, just normal pics without lensing.
    First few pics were fine, then every pic was duplicated: A,A,B,B,C,C,D ... gave up.

Date 21 June 19:48 (British Summer Time).
    4 users including myself.
    Windows 7, IE10.

I'm guessing internet performance may be a factor - there wasn't a problem a couple of days ago when all was quieter.

No point continuing work until it's resolved. Not sure if my comments are being applied to the correct image.
    And no, I don't want to use Chrome.

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin in response to DocJohn's comment.

Thanks for the details but can you please collect the images? I will need the ASW ids as done by other people in this thread.. http://talk.spacewarps.org/#/boards/BSW0000001/discussions/DSW00003c9
    The tech team is trying but need more examples. somehow it has been to difficult to trace the source of the problem.
    Also, please try to report a problem under relevant thread..thanks for your patience!

Posted

• c_cld by c_cld

Bug appears for
    ASW0005nxw
    and next ASW0000o52 which shows the previous ASW0005nxw in QD
    and many on (QD link to the previous) ...

Posted

• elizabeth_s by elizabeth_s

This Image ASW0000md1 when view on Quick Dashboard turns into another image also
    (This image actually contains a simulated lens) is showing up where there are no stars or galaxies. Odd I must say

Posted

It appears as if the image that is up to classify and the dashboard image are off by 1 picture sure hope that makes sense.

Posted

this is to classify ASW00050p7 comes up the dashboard of this picture ASW0004d8n

Posted

• mitch by mitch

Image ASW00069xv comes up as Image ASW0005rmu in dashboard - all of the images seem to be off by about 2

Posted

• lamperti by lamperti

Different image came up with DB with Image ASW0000j0w and Image ASW0000rvw

Posted

• lamperti by lamperti

Third one today with different image in DB.
    With this Image ASW0003glv, a sim was noted, but sign came up saying that "There is no gravitational lens in this field!". When DB was used, a different image (Image ASW000042c ) was shown. Lastly, the next image was Image ASW000042c , and the DB shown was ASW0003glv.
    Hope this helps the bug exterminators.

Posted

• Chinabob by Chinabob

Am having a problem with the sims the last four were supposed to have sims but following a very close and exended examination for the life of me can I identify any. Is it me or a bug?

Posted

• cjhopwood0301 by cjhopwood0301 in response to Capella05's comment.

I'm getting it now...QD seems to be an image or so behind. Win 8, Chrome, 29 images

Posted

• mudkip201 by mudkip201

I'm having this problem in combination with getting stuck in an image loop. Mac OSX 10.8.4, Safari 6.0.5. QD is at least 1 image out of sync.

Posted

• peter_vince by peter_vince

I am occasionally having problems. Am using a Mac (OS 10.9.1), and was using Safari (7.0.1) but transferred to Firefox (26.0) to see if that was better, but it also now suffers.

Currently 882 images viewed.

In the last instance (and I think also before), yes, the previous image had been a simulation.

Dialog closed with "Next"

Did any empty fields appear before experiencing the problem? No.

JavaScript console, do any error appear? Sorry, unfamiliar with it, and can't see how to display it.

Posted

• mrjackoboy by mrjackoboy

I have this problem too.

Using Chrome on Windows 8

5438 images viewed

Dialogue closed with 'Next'

I have had a empty fields previously but not tonight

Not familiar with javascript

This was one of the images
    Image ASW000a9y0

Posted

• dboy by dboy

There still seems to be a problem with dashboard.Yesterday I experienced the same with dimming screen and diagonal lines passing across.I am using safari 5.1with mac osx lion 10.7

Posted

• uckle by uckle

Sadly not.It's come back again and showing the previous image.

Posted

• tetraquark by tetraquark

Just been having the same issue. The site was telling me I was missing simulated lenses. When I checked the quick dashboard, it was showing different images. Had to refresh to correct.

Browser/OS - Chrome/Windows 7

How many images classified? - 872

Did any simulations appear before experiencing the problem? - Yes

How was the dialog closed ("x" in the top right, "Close" button or click "Next!" again)? - Close

Did any empty fields appear before experiencing the problem? And how was that
    dialog closed? - Yes. Couldn't close so had to exit SpaceWarps

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi tetraquark

Try refreshing the page, that usually does the trick ! 😄

Posted

• Trow2 by Trow2

I have yet to get dashboard to work once. Every time I get diagonal moving lines across the screen. I find refreshing the screen does not resolve the issue. I have to log out and back in and just refrain from using dashboard.

HP Pavilion g6, Windows 7, IE 11 v 11.0.9600...

Posted

• graham_mann by graham_mann

after a while the pictures and dashboard view are out of sync by 1 picture.i am using chrome.

Posted

• Budgieye by Budgieye moderator

Refresh your screen quite often. It is like giving your computer a cup of coffee. They work better afterwards.

Posted