Space Warps Talk

Raw Data (Download Data)

• popedarren by popedarren

Maybe I'm understanding it wrong, but I would think that the raw data would be a download. I was hoping that I could look at extremely large versions of the pics I have been looking at. (It would be cool if I could actually "zoom." The zoom now works like holding a picture closer to your eyes.) When I click on the links, all I get is gobbledygook, so I right click to download, but what program opens an fz file? Please set me straight! 😃

I'm talking about the Quick Dashboard, then there is a "?", "u", "g", "r", "i", "z". The question mark does nothing that I can tell and the others are downloads, I presume.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator

You can zoom in the quick dashboard by using your mouse scroll wheel. To move around the zoomed image just 'click and drag'.

As for raw data download we do not support that - you need to use the SpaceWarps website to classify the images.

Posted

Diggity-dang. I was hoping there was a way that I could actually zoom, instead of just pixelating the current picture. I am aware of the available zoom function, but I do appreciate your help!

What are the "u", "g", "r", "i", "z" by the "Download Data" label at the bottom of the page? It's only available on the Quick Dashboard.

Posted

Those buttons are not for functionality, as far as I know, it is just data that allows the quick dashboard to operate ie. allows you to brighten the image etc...

Posted

Ah. Well, that makes sense. style="display:none;" 😃

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 moderator in response to popedarren's comment.

No worries 😃

Posted

• surhudm by surhudm scientist

Hi guys, you can download the raw data, the u,g,r,i,z images are in the FITS format, which is commonly used in astronomy. You can download these files by a right click on the u,g,r,i,z and save, directly clicking on them will open them in the browser and is not very useful. These fits files can be opened with Fits viewer which can be downloaded here:(http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_viewer.html) . I think the images that you see are the highest resolution by the way, so zooming in will only make it more pixelated. As far as I know the images have not been smoothed. These are images taken from the telescopes on ground, so having higher resolution does not help much, as the atmosphere blurs the images you see, anyway.

Posted

Wow, thanks surhudm! Learn something new everyday 😃

Can I include that in a board 'How To'?

Posted

Thank you, surhudm!

Posted