Space Warps Talk

FAQ Question: Which browsers are supported?

• CosmicMuffin by CosmicMuffin

When I click on the image enhancer button I'm told IE is not supported. First of all, you just eliminated a ton of potential classifiers. Secondly, there is NO mention I can find of which browsers you do support. I'd love to help, but you aren't making it easy 😭

CosmicMuffin

Posted

• anupreeta by anupreeta scientist, admin

Thanks for your question. We will certainly add this to the FAQ. Unfortunately, some of the tools being used in the "Quick Dashboard (QD)" are not supported by IE currently. But the QD is supported by Firefox and Chrome. Can you give this a try?
    Thanks!

Posted

• drphilmarshall by drphilmarshall scientist, admin

I prefer Chrome in general actually - it seems faster, and its free to download.

Posted

• soviet_mike by soviet_mike

Can't see any images, click on the icon but see only a blue screen. using Firefox.

Posted

• soviet_mike by soviet_mike

Hmmm.. I now see the images and info with Chrome but not Firefox.

Posted

• vlietinho by vlietinho

Yeah, doesnt work in IE nor in FireFox. In Firefox only a blue screen

Posted

• sfessenden by sfessenden

Nothing but blue & a toolbar on the left in both IE and FF. So... what? Is this down or something? There is no content anywhere but here.

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

Sometimes, for me, the images don't load completely and I am disappointed that the tools the project has chosen will not work in IE. I hope they are reprogrammed soon to work with IE because I really want to help, but I won't use third party browsers just for one thing.

Posted

Well, in the browser game it's a well known fact that you go for IE first, then FF, then any others. This is simply a commercial survival reality. This whole site is a complete disaster. It doesn't even work for the top two. This is going to go absolutely nowhere unless somebody gets a reality check. If this was a commercial venture it would be an abysmal failure with no realistic planning, very loose execution and no testing. IOW, don't go live if you're not ready to go live.

Posted

• akapadia by akapadia

Hi, I'm one of the developers for Space Warps. Some functionality of this project depends on a modern browser.

We made an effort to support older browsers for the main classification interface. On the other hand, the Quick Dashboard does require a modern browser. We are enabling volunteers to visualize real astronomical data, not standard JPGs, PNGs or TIFFs. Professional astronomers use different file formats, and we've worked hard to put these data in the hands of the Zooniverse community.

Along with this decision, we chose to use tools of the Open Web, standard technologies. Sadly, not all browsers are built the same, and not all keep up with the latest technologies. This excludes Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Troubles with Firefox are likely related to the version. A minimum version of Firefox 19 should resolve these issues.

Please keep in mind that our projects are different than other web sites. We need to continuing pushing the boundaries of technologies to enable our community to do effective science in the browser.

Posted

So what's the problem with FF 20.0.1? I've got nothing but a toolbar, and that doesn't produce any results. The only link that works is discuss, and that comes here. I can appreciate the open tools, I can even appreciate that maybe you guys are volunteering your time. That's still no excuse for not testing.

Posted

Same result with Ubuntu 12.04LTS kernel 3.2.0-41-generic & FF 20.0. At the very least do some client verification & toss up a page that explicitly states supported software if you don't find what you need. To be greeted with nothing but a mostly non-functional toolbar and a field of blue is just not acceptable (IMO).

Posted

• akapadia by akapadia

This issue should be resolved. Please check, and let us know!

Posted

Now we're getting somewhere 😃 Thank you very much. This is MUCH better. I'll be running through all your spotter's guide & FAQ, and then I'll be a POSITIVE contributor!

Posted

• akapadia by akapadia

Thanks for helping us sort this out 😃

Posted

• spudicusmaximus by spudicusmaximus

I'm using Chrome Version 26.0.1410.64 m, when I click quick dashboard all I see is a black image, nothing shows up. No matter what button I hit, the 'image' is just pure black. I can pan and zoom the black image no problem. Should I be seeing something besides this?

Posted

• spudicusmaximus by spudicusmaximus in response to spudicusmaximus's comment.

I installed the latest version of FireFox, and I see what it should look like now. So there is definitely something wrong with my installation of Chrome, anyone got any ideas where to look?

Posted

• khearn by khearn

It may have been well known that you go for IE first, then FF a while back, but looking at Wikipedia, they report that 44% of their users are using Chrome, 22% IE, and 18% Firefox, as of March 2013. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers.

I'm using Firefox 20.0 on Unbuntu Linux at the moment and not having any problems.

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

OK, sounds like I need to download Chrome on my new laptop, be right back....

Posted

• so666 by so666

Quick Dashboard is not working for me with FF 20.0.1

Posted

• edzcole by edzcole

I am using an I pad 2 and the Spotters Guide hides the right hand edge of the image.

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz

Dashboard doesn't work for me. All I see is a black square, no matter which button I press. Chrome 17.0.963.83

Posted

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

Well, I guess I'll just bow out and wish you all good luck with this project. I won't use a third party browser when I don't need to for anything else. 😦

Posted